Chapter 71

A Few Weeks Later

I'm in the middle of cooking dinner when my cell phone, suddenly, starts ringing. My eyes dart over to where Stephanie is sitting at the table reading a book and Samuel is in the living room folding laundry. They are, usually, the only people to ever call me. Unless, it's work???

I move away from the stove and walk over to the kitchen counter where I have my cell phone charging. It's my mother calling me. I haven't spoken to her in what feels like forever.....what could she possibly want?

"Hello?" I answer. There is a brief pause, but I can hear her breathing. "How are you, Karrington?" My mother asks. "I'm good." I tell her. "That's good." She says, quietly. I don't say anything. I wait for her to continue. I know that there has to be a particular reason why she is calling. "We are going to have a BBQ at our house this weekend. Your father and I would love for you to come." She tells me. I gulp. This would most likely mean having a confrontation with Brittany. I can't avoid my family forever....or maybe I could, but that's just not in my character. "I will be there." I tell her before I can think too much about it and change my mind.

"Okay. See you then." She replies, awkwardly. "See you then." I tell her. She hangs up. I put my phone back down on the kitchen counter. "Who was that?" Stephanie asks me. She looks at me over the top of her book. I gulp. "That was my mother." I walk back over to the stove and continue to cook the spaghetti.

"What did she want?" Samuel asks from the living room. "She wants me to come to a BBQ that they are having at their house this weekend and I said yes." I stir the sauce in with the spaghetti. "Do you want us to come with you?" Stephanie asks. I turn around and look at the two most important people in my life. "Absolutely." I tell them both.