Chapter 61

Suprisingly, Stephanie and I made it through the night shift without passing out on one of the empty beds in the hospital. We made it back home to our apartment in one piece. The first thing I did when I got home was take a shower. The next thing that I did was get into a large t-shirt and fall into my comfy bed. I didn't even pay attention to what Stephanie was doing, but I'm pretty sure she was doing something along the same lines.

             I drift off to sleep, easily. I'm having a very nice dream where I'm winning a brand new house when I hear knocking. I lift my head up off of my pillow. Who in the world could that be? I lay my head back down and close my eyes. Maybe I'm just hearing things. That happens sometimes. It could be the neighbors. The walls are thin.

           I hear the knocking again. I groan and sit up. I rip the covers off of me. I walk to Stephanie's room and peek in. She is sound asleep. That girl can sleep through absolutely anything. I wish I wasn't such a light sleeper.

           I sigh and walk over to the door. I don't even bother looking through the peep whole. I'm so out of it. My heart jumps out of my chest when I open the door.

          It's Samuel. And he is all by himself. How did he even get here? How does he know where I live now? And why did I open my front door only wearing a large pink t-shirt? I tug on the bottom of the shirt as if I can make it longer by doing just that.  To make matters worse, I'm not even wearing a bra. I fold my arms across my chest.

         "What are you doing here?" I ask, trying to sound natural, like his presence doesn't affect me at all. He looks me up and down and takes a deep breath. "We need to talk." He says, plain and simple. Those four words make my heart do somersaults in my chest.