Chapter 39

I let go of his hand as I sit on the couch in the living room. I'm so nervous. He rolls his wheelchair beside me. I can't stop thinking about what Brittany revealed to me. Samuel isn't a virgin. Therefore, they slept together before he went to Afghanistan....I have been under the impression this whole entire time that he was a virgin. I thought that he was waiting for marriage. That's what Brittany had told me........Apparently, things change.

         "I saw Brittany." I announce. Samuel sighs, heavily. "Really? What did she have to say?" He asks, looking stressed. "Nothing good." I admit. He shakes his head. "Tell me what she said." I look away. "I don't know if I want to talk about it." I tell him. Why does it bother me so much that he isn't a virgin? Most guys his age aren't and I'm not a virgin. I guess I just thought that it was something special about him. Now it just infuriates me that it is something special that my sister took away from him.

         "Just tell me, Karrington." Samuel pleads with me. I bite my bottom lip. "Brittany told me that you weren't a virgin anymore." I look away from him. I do not want to look at the expression on his face right now and I don't want him to see me blushing like a tomato. "Wait? How did you know that I was a virgin before Brittany in the first place?" He asks, sounding embarrassed. "She told me while you guys were dating." I tell him. I'm still looking away from him.

           "Wow." He says. "Yeah....." I look over at him, finally. "I thought that she was the love of my life, Karrington." He says, in a low voice. I nod. "I understand, Samuel." I tell him. I really do. "It's something that I regret. It was only once....the night before I left." He admits to me. "If it makes you feel any better I lost my virginity to Nathan and you see how that turned out." I tell him, with a fake laugh. Our eyes meet. "Is he the only guy you have been with?" He asks. My cheeks are burning at the question and this conversation. "Yes. He is the only one that I have been with." I admit to him.

         "It looks like we both have some regrets." Samuel says, with a small smile playing on his lips. I give him a small smile in return. "It sure does."