Chapter 18

I put my hands into his thick brown hair. He hasn't had a hair cut since he came back. I like his hair like this. I massage his scalp as I wash his hair. He leans his head back into my hands. I gulp. I hope and pray that my hands are not shaking. My heart feels like it is beating a million miles per second. I have the urge to press myself against his back, but I don't do it.

"I'm done washing it now. You can lean your head into the water to rinse it out." I tell him, as I, slowly, remove my hands from his hair. He leans his head forward towards the water. The shampoo rinses out of his hair...and I'm still standing behind him, fully clothed, in this shower. What am I doing? And why am I not stopping?

"I think that you can handle the rest on your own. " I, finally, get up the courage to say. I say this, but I'm not moving.

He turns his body around to face me. He looks up at me. I stare right back at him.

"You don't have to leave." He says.

"I think that I need to leave, Samuel. This is...." I trail off, trying to figure out the right words to say.

"This is what?" He urges me. He seems like he is getting a little bit agitated.

"This isn't right." I tell him.

"Why? What are we doing wrong?" He asks, he reaches out and puts his left hand on my waist, pulling me closer towards him.

"Your parents hired me to take care of you." I tell him.

"And you are." He rubs little circles on my back with his hand.

"I don't think your mom would like what is going on right now..."

Our eyes meet. "What is going on right now?" He asks me.

"We shouldn't be here like this together...." I motion my hands at his naked body and at his hand on my waist.

"I trust you, Karrington..." He pulls me even closer.

The water is, surprisingly, still warm in the shower.

I don't say anything. I just listen. I know he has more to say.

"You have been here for me ever since I came back...I just don't want you to leave, okay?" He says, looking away from me.

"You don't want me to leave...." I repeat.

"No. I don't want you to leave. As in, I want you in my life."

"What do you want me in your life as?" I question him.

"All I know is that I want you in my life, Karrington. That's all I know."

"Okay."

What else can a girl say to that?