Chapter 49

The Next Morning

   I can't get over the conversation that I had with Samuel via text message last night. It made no sense at all. What possible reason could he have for not being allowed to talk to me? And why would he be hanging out with Brittany if they weren't together? I'm so confused that my brain hurts. I can't figure it out.

      Part of me wants to send him a text, but I don't, because what if he gets in trouble if I send one? I showed Stephanie all of the texts that Samuel and I exchanged last night. She is just as confused as me. "I think that he is lying because  he feels bad that he hurt you." She tells me. I sigh. "I don't know, Stephanie. He told me that he loved me...." I trail off. Stephanie rolls her eyes. "People say things that they don't mean all the time, Karrington. You know that..." She tells me. I nod. "You're right. I guess that a part of me just really wants to believe it, you know?" I shrug. She gives me a small smile. "I understand boo."

"Samuel and I had a connection. At least, that's what I thought...." I sigh. "Do you love him?" Stephanie asks me. I look away from her. "I mean....I don't know..." I avoid eye contact with her. "That's a yes or no question, Karrington." Stephanie tells me. I can feel her eyes on me. "Maybe it's a question that I'm not ready to answer yet...." I admit. "Well, it is a question that only has one answer." She gives me a sad smile. "What if I don't want to admit the truth?" I gulp. Stephanie sighs and shakes her head. "The truth will set you free, my love."

After that, I go to my room and piddle around for the rest of the day. Stephanie has to work today. I don't. She won't be back home tonight until around 8 or 9 depending if she stops somewhere after she gets off of work. Suddenly, my phone rings. It's a number that I do not recognize. I debate about answering it. I let it keep on ringing. I don't answer it.

It's about 7 o'clock at night. My phone starts ringing again from the same number. I furrow my eyebrows. Maybe it's somebody calling the wrong number? I sigh and answer my phone.

"Hello?"

"Karrington." The person breathes. The voice sounds so familiar....

"Yes???"

"You don't know who this is?" The person laughs and my heart freezes.

"Brittany." It's my sister.

"Bingo." She laughs again. It's not a funny laugh.

"What do you want?" I ask.

"Leave Samuel alone or your dead." She says.

"What?!" I screech into my phone.

"You heard me." She growls.

"What are you going to do if I don't?" I ask, my voice getting higher.

"You don't know what I'm capable of." She sneers.

She hangs up.