Chapter 35

Nathan turns on a cheesy romance movie. I scoot further away from him on the couch. He pretends not to notice, but I know that he does. We sit through the whole movie in complete and utter silence. I'm looking at the movie, but I'm not really seeing it. My mind is all over the place.

          My phone buzzes in my pocket. I take it out. I see Samuel's name on my screen and my heart feels like it is about to jump out of my chest. I look over at Nathan. He isn't looking at me. I look back at my phone. I click on the message.

Samuel: My mom's going to take some time off of work to stay with me. I told her that you aren't coming back. I, also, told her that she needs to stop worrying about me so much. Anyways, I hope that you are okay.

     My hands are shaking, slightly. I glance back at Nathan again. He is looking at me this time. He doesn't look happy. I gulp and look back down at the message on my phone. I shake my head and put my phone back in my pocket.

       "Who is texting you?" Nathan asks, with a frown. "Nobody important." I lie to him. He seems satisfied with my answer. "Do you want me to make some popcorn?" He asks. "That would be great." I tell him. He gets up and heads to the kitchen. I sigh and take my phone out again. I re-read Samuel's text message.

       My fingers hover over the keyboard. I can hear Nathan whistling in the kitchen.

Me: I'm sorry.

I press send.

It says that he has read it.

I see the three dots appear. He is typing.

Samuel: I just want you to be happy, Karrington.

Nathan comes back into the living room with popcorn. I put my phone back in my pocket and decide to not look at it for the rest of the night.