Chapter 20

I do not want to open this door. Oh my gosh....I press my back against the front door. He rings the doorbell again and my heart starts to hammer against my chest, uncontrollably. I take a deep breath and turn around. I place my left hand on the door knob. I open the door. My eyes fall upon Nathan George in all of his glory. He looks exactly the same. Tall, blonde, green eyes, and a wicked smile to top it all off.

"What are you doing here, Nathan?" I demand.

"I don't even get a, "Hey Nate, how have you been?" He flashes me one of his wicked smiles. Three years ago that wicked smile could have gotten me to do anything, but not today, and not ever again.

I roll my eyes, step out of the house, and close the door behind me. I'm not going to invite him in. I don't bother replying to his remark. I cross my arms against my chest and wait for an explanation to this unwanted reunion.

He sighs and takes a tiny step back from me. "How have you been, Karrington?" He asks me.

I raise my eyebrows. "Why do you care?"

"I do care, Karrington. I have always cared." He takes a step closer towards me.

I step back away from him until my back hits the front door of my parents house. "It's been three years, Nathan...."

"I know.....It's taken me this long to get my life together, but I wanted to get my life together for you, Kar." He takes a deep breath and his eyes bore into mine. I can see the emotions in his eyes. He looks like he is almost on the verge of tears. He wanted to get his life together for me? The last time that I saw him he was drunk and I told him that I didn't want to be with him anymore because I couldn't handle it any longer. He would get drunk as much and as often as he could when we were together.

"I don't know what you want me to say, Nathan." I finally manage to say to him, with my back still against the door.

"I want you to say that you will give us another chance." He pleads with me.

This is so random and so out of the blue.

"I can't do that right now, Nathan." I tell him, honestly.

"You used to always call me Nate." He says, sounding sad. I can feel myself starting to feel some compassion towards him that I don't want to feel.

"We can be friends." I tell him, startling myself.

His eyes light up with hope. "I would love that, Kar."

"My number is still the same, but you probably deleted it..."

His eyes flash with hurt. "No. I never deleted your number, Kar."

"Okay. Well, just call or text me sometime." I tell him, awkwardly. I give him a wave and run back into the house before he can say anything else to me.

// Hit the orange star if you are enjoying this story! 😘😘 My updates are random, but I am trying to update more often. I miss writing. I work full-time and I'm in college full-time, but I love writing 😍😘