Chapter 5

At the end of my shift, Stephanie introduces me to the "stupid hot" new doctor. Stephanie is dead set on trying to hook me up with one of the doctors at our hospital. And I'm dead set on not being in a relationship. The new doctor is, in fact, very attractive. He is tall, with blue eyes and blonde hair. He is, also, only 27 years old. He is fresh out of medical school, but I'm still not interested. After Stephanie introduces us, I smile at him, and walk away to start getting things ready for the next nurse. My shift is almost over.

"You are no fun, Karrington." Stephanie groans, as she follows me.

"Sorry, not sorry." I tell her.

"Don't quote a Demi Lovato song to me."

I laugh. "As long as you love me....." I stick my tongue out at her.

"You are crazy." She shakes her head, but ends up laughing with me, anyways.

      Before I know it, it's time for me to leave. I make sure the next nurse has everything she needs before I leave. I say goodbye to Stephanie. Time to go back home to my family. The house full of lies as I like to call it. When I get home, all the lights are out. That's odd. It's only 8 at night. Usually, mom and dad are always in the living room at this time. I walk into the kitchen. Nobody is in there either. I walk to my parents bedroom. They aren't there either. I go check Brittany's room. She isn't there, either. Where could they all be at? Maybe they went out to eat without me. That wouldn't be a surprise at all.

       Something seems off though....I decide to call my mom. She answers on the third ring.

"Hello, honey. I was expecting you to call...." Her voice sounds off, like she has been crying.

"What's wrong, mom?" I ask. I'm starting to panic a little.

I can hear muffled cries in the background. I knew something was off.

"It's Samuel...." She chokes out.

My heart sinks. "What about him?" I clutch my phone closer to my ear as if my life is depending on it.

"He got hurt in Afghanistan." She sobs.

My heart sinks even more.

"Where are you all at?" I ask.

"We are at his parents house. "

"Is Brittany there?" I just had to ask.

There is a long pause. "No, I couldn't get a hold of her. I tried calling and I texted.  Is she at home?"

"No...she isn't at home, mom. I don't know where she is." I answer, honestly. There is no telling where she is at.

I can hear my mom trying to compose herself. Samuel is truly like a son to her. If only he was truly like a fiancé to Brittany....

"How bad is he hurt?" I ask.

"That's what we are trying to figure out...we don't know yet. They have him at a hospital over there right now, but they plan on sending him back home as soon as possible they said."

"Why won't they tell you how bad it is?"

"We will find out sooner or later, Karrington."

"I'll see if I can find Brittany, ok?" I tell my mom.

"Thank you, sweetie."

"You are welcome, mom. "

I hang up. 

Where in the world could Brittany possibly be?