Chapter 13

Monday when I show up for work I notice that something seems to be off....

"What's going on?" I ask Samuel's mom as I follow her into the kitchen. She doesn't look like she is dressed up for work. She's wearing a pair of jeans and a white t-shirt.

"I think I'm going to stay home with Samuel today..." She blurts out.

Why didn't she tell me this before I drove all the way over here?

"Okay. I'll just head back home then..." I start to turn around.

"Wait! No! Don't do that. " She glances nervously towards the hallway that leads to Samuel's room.

"He doesn't know that I'm thinking about staying home with him today..."

"Why does it matter?" I ask. I'm genuinely confused.

"He hasn't spoken one word to me since he has been home." She tells me.

This shocks me..... "He spoke to me on my first day."

Her eyes widen. "Why didn't you tell me?!" She exclaims.

"I didn't think it mattered. "

"It does. I haven't heard my sons voice since he has been home at all." She gulps. She looks like she is trying to hold back tears.

"I didn't know that he wasn't talking to you...." I tell her, honestly.

"Has he spoken to you again since that day?"

"No. He has not." I tell her.

She walks over to the counter and grabs her big red purse. "There is no point in me staying here. I'm going to go out and take care of a few things." She doesn't say anything else after that. She just leaves.

Wow. So many emotions at one time. How would I feel if I was her? How would I feel if my only son would not even speak to me, but he spoke to his ex fiancé's sister? I would feel betrayed. I would be hurt. But what is going through Samuel's mind? What is he feeling? How hurt is he?