Chapter 56

I hate being put on the spot with questions that I have no idea how to answer. Honestly, who likes being put on the spot? Nobody.  "I thought that we were becoming really good friends." I say, finally, after a very awkward pause. He raises his eyebrows. "Are you saying that I kiss all of my "really good" friends?" He asks, with an emotion that I can't quite decipher in his voice.  I sigh and rub my forehead in frustration. "You know what I mean, Samuel." I sigh. He shakes his head. "No, I don't know what you mean unless you tell me." He says, sounding annoyed.

           "Fine! I have feelings for you, okay? Are you happy now? Does it make you happy to know about my stupid fantasy of us actually being together?!" I yell. He lets out a deep breath that I didn't realize he was holding in. He scoots closer towards me. His whole body is facing towards mine now. "Do you really mean that, Karrington?" He asks. Raw emotion is evident in his voice.

              "Of course I do." I whisper. I look down at my hands in my lap. "Look at me, Karrington." He demands. I look up at him. "Why? So my heart can break just a little bit more?" I ask. My voice cracks at the end of my question. I take a deep breath to hold my tears at bay. His eyes take in every inch of my face. "I want to see if your feelings for me are real by looking at your face." He tells me, quietly. "What do you see when you look at me?" I ask, nervously.

I feel like his eyes can see right through me and directly into my heart. "I see you and your raw emotions." He tells me. He scoots even closer towards me. "Is that a good thing or a bad thing?" I ask. He gives me one of his tiny smirks. "It's a good thing." He assures me. "Is the baby really yours ?" I blurt out. I need to know. I deserve to know. He flinches at my question. "Brittany says that he is mine." He says, robotically. "Is this why she doesn't want you talking to me?" I ask. He gives me a look. "Isn't it obvious?" He asks. "It seems like she wants to be with you." I tell him.

       He takes a deep breath and sighs. "I don't know what to do...I want to do the right thing if he is my son." He tells me. "I understand." I tell him. "I don't want his life to be a huge mess." He tells me. "Well, with Brittany as his mom...." I trail off. I stop myself from continuing. Samuel gives me a look. "If this wasn't going on, Karrington, I would be with you in a heartbeat." He tells me. I shake my head and sigh. I may sound like a big huge jerk for thinking this, but if he really wanted to be with me he wouldn't let anything get in the way. "I have to go." I announce. He looks alarmed. "But you just got here." He tells me. "I don't want to hear anymore excuses. I'm done." I tell him. I don't say anything more and I don't look at his reaction. I just leave.