Chapter 36

I wake up to sunlight hitting me in my face. I blink and look around me. I fell asleep on Nathan's couch last night. Nathan is sound asleep on the opposite side of the couch. I groan. I need to face my reality at some point or another, but I really don't want to.

       Nathan looks like he is in a very deep sleep. He keeps on smiling, occasionally. Somebody is obviously having a good dream. I take a deep breath. I was crazy for coming here. I take one last look at Nathan and then head out the front door without looking back.

I get into my car. I start driving. I don't even know where I am going. Before I know it, I'm parked in front of my parents house. Brittany is sitting on the front porch in the swing. I take a deep breath. I take my keys out of the ignition.

I stomp my way up to the front porch. I stop directly in front of Brittany. She looks up at me, nonchalantly. "Why did you do it?!" I yell at her. She doesn't even flinch. "Do what?" I shake my head in disbelief. "Why did you leave him when he needed you the most?!" I scream. I probably look like mad woman right now.

       She rolls her eyes. "Why would I want to be with a guy that has no legs?" She shrugs as if what she said is the most easiest explanation in the world. I shake my head again. "But you were going to marry him!" I point at her. She rolls her eyes again. "Yeah right. I got what I wanted from him. I was not going to marry him." I furrow my eyebrows at her. "What did you get from him?" I question.

       "He bought me a car, remember?" She shakes her head at me. I totally forgot about that. He bought her a car while he was in Afghanistan. He got his mom to do it as a surprise for her. "Why stay with him so long if you were just using him to get stuff?!" I back away from her, slightly. She shrugs. "He was like a lost puppy dog." She tells me. She starts playing with her nails.

       I shouldn't be surprised by what I'm hearing, but I still am. "I can't believe you, Brittany. He really loved you." I tell her. She looks up at me with an evil glint in her eye. "Loved? You mean loves?" She smirks at me.