Chapter 4

~6 Months Later~

"I miss you so much, baby!" Brittany coos into her cell phone.

      She is walking around her room, holding her I-Phone 6, while talking to her beloved fiancé. I happen to be in her room with her at the moment. She had dragged me in here to help her pick out an outfit....I guess she was going somewhere important tonight. Probably to go see one of her guys....Anyways, Samuel just so happened to call her as soon I got into her room. Why do I always have to witness these situations?

"No, I miss you more!" She giggles.

I could throw up right now.

"I'm just hanging out with Karrington."

      He must be asking her what she is doing. Her telling him that she is hanging out with me isn't technically a lie at the moment. Bravo to Brittany for actually telling the truth for once.  I zone out on the rest of their conversation and wait ,patiently, until she gets off of the phone.

      She sighs, heavily. "Finally." She mutters underneath her breath. Shouldn't she be happy about talking to her fiancé who is over in Afghanistan risking his life for our country?

"Should I wear the black dress or the red dress?" She holds up both of the dresses. I could care less about what she wears, but I like the color red.

"Red." I tell her.

She purses her lips. "I think that I'm going to go with the black. Thanks, Kar."

I take that as my perfect time to exit. "No problem." I tell her as I walk out of her bedroom.

      I take my cell phone out of my back pocket. It's almost time for me to go to work. I go to my room and change into my scrubs. I don't bother saying goodbye to Brittany or my parents. I'm just ready to get to work. I love my job. Nursing is definitely my calling. My patients mean so much to me. The mean ones and the nice ones. I would rather be at work than at home spending time with my family. I know that my parents love me in their own way, but I'm not Brittany. And I'm sure that Brittany loves me in her own way too, but Brittany loves herself more than she loves anything or anybody.

      Growing up, Brittany was always the one who got the attention from my parents. And sometimes it felt like she was always the one who got the attention from everybody else, as well, and I was just there taking up space.

"Hey girl!!" My favorite co-worker, Stephanie, greets me as I get out of the elevator. I work on the maternity floor at the hospital. I absolutely love it.

"Hey boo!!" I grin at her. She always puts me in a good mood.

"Guess what?" She is chewing some gum and she blows out a bubble.

"What?" I smile.

"We got a brand new stupid hot doctor that just started this morning."

"Thanks for letting me know." I laugh and continue on my way to see who my first patient is for today.