Chapter 52

Two Months Later

I haven't heard from Samuel. I haven't heard from my sister. I don't know what to think about it. Therefore, I try not to think about it, but that's way too hard....

I'm inside of Winn-Dixie right now. I'm grocery shopping all by myself. I'm looking through the grapes trying to find a decent bag when I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn around. I come face to face with Samuel's mother.

"Hi." I manage to spit out. My eyes dart around me to see if she is alone. I don't see anyone else with her. I start to relax some.

"I'm so sorry about everything that has happened...." She tells me. What does she have to be sorry about? And, technically, Samuel and I were never anything at all....

"You don't have anything to be sorry about." I tell her, honestly. I sigh, grab a random bag of red grapes and put it in my buggy.

She frowns at me. She looks like something is seriously troubling her. "You don't know, do you?" She asks in a whisper.

"Know what?" I ask. I've completely shut my family out of my life lately. I wouldn't know what's going on...

She puts one of her hands on my shoulder. I glance down at her hand. What in the world is going on right now?

"Do you know why your sister was gone all of that time?" She asks.

"No..." I trail off. I assume that she was jerking off with some guy.

She frowns some more. "Your sister was pregnant with Samuel's baby and she gave birth to the baby boy in Kansas...."

I feel numb. "Kansas?" I ask, dumbly.

"She said that she had an old friend there and she did not want to burden anyone with the pregnancy....." She keeps on talking, but I zone out on the rest of her words.

Brittany was pregnant.

Brittany had a baby boy.

Samuel is the father of her baby boy.

Their baby boy.