Chapter 15

I shift, uncomfortably, underneath his gaze. I start to crawl off of his bed, but he grabs my arm before I can get off. My eyes dart to his hand holding my arm. He glances at his hand on my arm and he, slowly, releases his hold on me.

"Sorry." He mumbles.

"It's okay..." I whisper.

He's just sitting there....looking at me...

"You came in here saying something about my mom." He says, while still looking at me. I'm not used to him looking at me this much. My body is all tense and I feel nervous like I'm standing in front of a class giving a speech.

"Yeah...she stormed out of here this morning....she is upset that you haven't talked to her since you have been home." I tell him.

He sighs, and runs his hands through his thick hair. "I don't have anything to say."

"Of course you do." I place my hand on one his hands.

He glances down at my hand on his. Then, to my complete and utter shock, he intertwines his fingers with mine so that we are holding hands. I don't know what to think about this, but I don't move my hand and he doesn't move his either. Our hands stay like that.

"She just wants to hear your voice again. She wants you to be okay." I tell him.

"I don't know if I will ever be okay, Karrington." He sighs.

"You will be." I give him a small smile and I squeeze his hand. He has been through so much, but I know that he can fight through this.

"How?" He asks, in a low, vulnerable, voice.

"Move on with your life and try your very best not to dwell on the past." I give his hand another squeeze.

"I guess you are right...." His eyes slide over to one of the pictures that he has up of him and my sister.

"Don't let what happened to you define you." I give him a smile and I let go of his hand. I see his eyes glance down at my hand that I removed from his hold.

"Why do you talk to me?" I ask him, feeling bold.

He looks at me for a moment and tilts his head to the side like he is thinking about the perfect answer to this question.

"I feel comfortable with you...I guess." He, finally, tells me.

"Well, that's good....I guess."

He smirks at me. I grin and look away.