Chapter 58

Three hours later into my shift and Stephanie is still giving me an ear full every time I come near her. "He is so into you." She is saying now. I roll my eyes. "He is just being nice to me. Geez." I shake my head.

           "Sureeee! Keep on thinking that, my friend." She says, sarcastically. "I do think that because it's the truth. He doesn't even know me." I tell her. She sighs, heavily. "He does not have to know your heart and soul to be interested in you, Karrington." She informs me. I shake my head. "Well, I'm not interested in anybody being interested in me. Can you just drop it please?" I ask, pleadingly. She doesn't say anything for a moment. "Fine. Have it your way." She turns away from me and busies herself.

          I make my way to one of my patients for the night. Her name is Rose. She is eighty years old and she is in the beginning stages of dementia. She fell and broke her hip. She got out of surgery yesterday. She is still recovering. When I walk into her room, she is sound asleep. I refill her medications that are going through her IV's. I'm so glad that she is getting some rest. My profession definitely helps me to get my mind off of my lack luster personal life.

         At least, I have Stephanie. She may annoy me at times, but she is a very loyal and faithful friend. She means well. I shouldn't be so hard on her.  I owe her some ice cream after we get off of work tonight.

              I'm about to walk out of Rose's room when her door opens. Kent walks in and closes the door behind him. "Hey. I just got through re-filling her medications. She seems to be doing very well." I inform him. "That's great." He grins. He has such a megawatt smile and he's so tall. "Yeah, well, I'll let you do whatever you were about to do." I tell him. He scoots to the side to let me walk past him. He looks like he wants to say something to me, but he doesn't. I walk out of the room and close the door behind me.