Whatever

(942 words)

Rick's POV 

I rubbed my temples as I slammed the door to the garage. Jerry had gotten on my nerves. Morty had gotten on my nerves. Everyone was getting on my nerves. Same shit different day. Sighing heavily I slumped down before I saw the reflection of my guitar out of the corner of my eye. Looking over to it I shook my head. I hadn't played it in a while. 

Rolling over I picked it out of the box that it was in. There was a picture of the old band behind it along with a couple of rock shirts and my old choker. Glancing at the items I went back to the chair and sat down putting my feet up on the counter. Cracking my knuckles I started to tune the instrument before began to play. 

Running through a couple of scales I sighed a little. I forgot how it felt to play. That was before a song came into my mind. I would play it all the time and with the current mood I was in it would be good to play it. 

And I wonder day to day

 I don't like you anyway

I don't need your shit today

You're pathetic in your own wayI feel for you(better fuckin go away)I will behaveBetter fuckin go awayI'm doing the best I ever didI'm doing the best that I canI'm doing the best I ever did
I don't need to fantasize
You are my pet all the time
I don't mind if you go blind
You get what you get
Until you through with my life

I feel for you
(better fuckin go away)
I will behave
You better go away [x2]

I'm doing the best I ever did
I'm doing the best that I can
I'm doing the best I ever did
Now go away [x2]

I'm doing the best I ever did
(go away)
I'm doing the best that I can
(go away) [x2]

I'm doing the best I ever did
I'm doing the best that I can
I'm doing the best I ever did
Now go away!

I'm doing the best I ever did
I'm doing the best that I can
I'm doing the best I ever did
Now go away [x2]

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

I'm doing the best I ever did
(go away)
I'm doing the best that I can

Sighing heavily as I was done I nearly jumped as I heard clapping behind me. Turning I saw my daughter as she smiled at me. Standing I put the guitar back and sat back down as I pulled something closer to me to pretend to work on it. She walked in anyway. 

"I didn't know you still played." 

"I don't" 

"That's not what it looked like to me. You've still got it. I think you should show Summer and Morty some of the things you can play. I think they'll like it." 

Grabbing my flask I shook my head. "I quit the band bullshit a long time ago. What do you want?"

Watching her cross her arms and shake her head at me. "Dinner is done" She walked away and I looked over to the guitar as it shined at me again. Looking at my hands I sighed. Positive that she wants me to play for them only to have bonding time. Gross. Standing I grabbed the guitar and brought it to the dining room. Setting it down next to the doorway I sat and started eating. 

"You're going to play for us, Grandpa Rick?" 

"Only because I want to and not because your mother told me to." 

They looked over to her and she shrugged as she smiled a little. "I wouldn't have it any other way." 

Your POV 

I walked into the Smith house as I smelled food. Turning the corner I was greeted by the rest of the Smith's. Sitting down I sat next to Rick as he glanced over to me. "I bet you're only here because you smelled food." 

I laughed as I shook my head. "Nope I'm here because a little bird told me that you were playing your guitar, so I brought my bass over." I smirked as I looked over to him. He looked at me before he crossed his arms.

"You aren't good enough to play with me." 

"Bet, old man. Your fingers are too brittle to match my playing." 

He rose a part of his unibrow as he looked at me. "You're on." We both stood as we were done and he grabbed his guitar as I put mine on the table to open the case. Picking it up I watched as he looked over and was what seemed to be amazement. 

"Is that a Gibson ES-235 Semi-hollow?" 

He walked over and I nodded a little. "I've had it for a while. It used to be my dad's. He's too drunk to play nowadays so it's mine now." 

He nodded as we got ready to play. Looking over to him I started first. The rest of the family came out and sat on the couch as we battled each other. Playing some of the more complex songs he played onces that were as complex before he looked at me and smirked. 

"I think I have you beat"

Shaking my head I played one of the ones from the old Flesh Curtain videos that I found. He stopped as he seemed surprised. "Where did you learn that?" 

"From an old video of you playing it yourself. Nice choker by the way" 

He shook his head as he looked at me. We started to play songs together after that. I'm willing to bet that he found me worthy of it. Can't tell me I'm not a good bass player now, can he?