The Pain Stopped

(843 words) 

Your POV 

"The thing that people call "love" is just a chemical reaction that compels animals to breed. It hits hard Morty, then it slooowwwly fades, leaving you stranded in a failing marriage. I did it, your parents are going to do it. Break the cycle Morty, focus on science." 

My ears perked up as I heard Rick's voice from the kitchen. Poking my head into the small room I found Morty at the small island counter, eating cookies. Jerry making a sandwich before abandoning it to go find Beth from his Father-In-Law's comments. 

Rick sipped his orange juice he had before he walked back out of the kitchen, turning and following him as Morty ran up the stairs to get ready for the dance. "Rick, if what you said is true, then why did Unity breaking up with you after the couple days of you being on It's planet, make you try and kill yourself after you got back?" 

Crossing my arms as my eyes narrowing while they studied him. Deadpanning as he glances at the couch, Summer being on her phone as she sits on it. Reaching into his lab coat pocket and pulling out the portal gun he shot one of the all too familiar green swirling portal as he stepped into it and it closed around him. Rolling my eyes and shaking my head I sat on the couch and grabbed the remote, turning on the interdimensional cable box. 

Watching the TV before I heard the familiar portal sound open in the garage, shaking my head as I continued to watch the TV, only jumping after a few minutes when a hand was on my shoulder. Looking over I saw Rick, he glanced at the kitchen before nudging his head to get me to follow. Turning the TV off and standing from the couch, Summer still texting and giggling away on her phone as she didn't notice. 

Following the old scientist to the garage he stood next to the workbench in front of him as he stared at it for a moment. "The pain stopped." 

Raising a brow as I tilted my head, watching him as the door closed behind me. "What?" 

"The pain stopped," he said as he turned around, leaning on the counter behind him, his hands in his lab coat pockets as he stood there lazily. "The entire time that I was with Unity, the pain stopped. Everything that I had been using drugs and alcohol to bury in an attempt to dull the pain, when I was with It. Everything stopped, which was why I didn't care when Summer and Morty went home without me." 

Crossing my arms as my eyes were on him, his face falling as he looks at the cement floor for a few seconds, before he spoke up again. 

"That was until It left those... those thousands of notes all over the planet It deserted." He put his hands in his hair as he dug into his scalp with his hands slightly with frustration, messing the already messy locks. "After It left those notes and I read them all, the pain instantly came back, it was like the last few days had never happened. When everything came back, it was the worst it's been in years." 

Once he stopped speaking I walked over to him and put my hand in his lab coat pocket, finding the small portal gun and clicking through the various coordinates. After I found what I wanted, I shot another portal out, and looked at him. "Come on." 

Raising half of his unibrow at me, he watched me. "What?" 

Grabbing his hand with a sigh, I pulled him through the portal. Once we were through the portal, I looked around to see that we were where I wanted us to be. The plan was all coming together. "Blips and Chitz?" 

"It was either this or like, Boob World." 

"As much as I like boobs, this is better. There's also the Whirly-dirly." 

"I didn't want to really be in an immortality field today, coming back is the weirdest shit ever. Last time you were there you almost got assassinated too." 

He nods gently and shrugs. "I get assassination attempts on me for breakfast." 

Laughing gently as I gave him back his portal gun, walking off to look at the games. 

"They finally got the Roy sequel, Roy: A Life Well Lived." 

Turning to see the older man run up to the machine with a VR headset and sitting down. Shaking my head as I watched him put in the coupons for the game. Watching the screen as he took Roy off the grid before I got lost in my thoughts. 

Why would Rick be in so much pain that he has to forget about it? Is it because he lost the first version of Beth and his wife, or is it because he just doesn't care? There's a lot of reasoning to believe that the smarter the person the more the brain wants to destroy itself.