Metalheads

( 1384 words)

Your POV 

I was sitting in the garage as I was waiting for Rick and Morty to get back from a mission that Rick just had to go on. Eyeing the headphones that were hooked up to Rick's electric guitar I reached over and grabbed them before I slipped them on and plugged them into my phone. Searching through my songs I settled on a metal playlist. Pushing play I listened intently as the music was loud and twirled my pencil around. 

Not hearing Rick and Morty come through the ceiling I continued with my loud music. Jumping when someone touched my shoulder. Taking the headphones off to my shoulders, I turned around to see Rick. He rose the right side of his unibrow as he looked at me before putting whatever they left for on the counter. 

"Were you listening to metal?" 

"Maybe, I was"

"I used to listen to it too you know." 

"You did? What bands?" 

"I used to be in a band called The Flesh Curtains with Birdperson and Squanch. I listened to a lot of the older stuff nothing that you would really know." he said as he sat down next to me and pulled his flask. I smirked gently as I grabbed my phone and unplugged the headphones. 

"I don't listen to any of that new shit. Old Metal from the 80s and 90s is where it's at. But tell me old man, what song is this?" 

Pushing play, it sounded something like the beginning of a choir before the electric guitar came through. Then the lyrics. 

You take a mortal man
And put him in control
Watch him become a god
Watch people's heads a'roll
A'roll, a' roll

He smirked as he looked at me. "Symphony of Destruction, by Megadeath" 

"I'll be damned old man, not bad. My turn" 

He nodded as he got up for his guitar before he put it on his lap after he sat down and looked at me as he thought of something. 

He started with the baseline as he started, doing his best to sing. 

Keep holding on
When my brains tickin' like a bomb
Guess the black thoughts have come again to get me
Sweet bitter words
Unlike nothing I have heard
Sing along Mocking bird
You don't affect me

I smirked as I leaned back and crossed my arms. "Coming Undone, by Korn. You can do better than that." He nodded as he chuckled gently. Reaching for my phone I scrolled through the playlist for another good one. Clicking on it we waited for the instruments to kick in with the lyrics. 

I'm not the one who's so far away
When I feel the snake bite enter my veins
Never did I want to be here again
And I don't remember why I came

He rolled his eyes as he looked at me. "Come on, hit me with something harder. It's Voodoo by Godsmack." I nodded as I stopped the song and he grabbed his guitar pick again before he leaned back and started to play again. This was oddly fun. He and Morty usually go on missions and stuff to bond and I don't really get to do much so this is cool. 

He played the as we sat there. I smirked as I knew what it was from. I knew it was a Metallica just from how the guitar was played. Looking at him I smiled as he smirked at me. "Know what it is yet?" 

"Fucking hell yeah, It's Nothing Else Matters by Metallica. I don't need lyrics for that" that was before he started to sing.