Chapter Thirty Four

Deviyani walked through the house, looking for Anjali, but she couldn't find her. Suddenly, she saw Anjali coming down the stairs and called her over. 

"What's wrong Nani," Anjali asked. 

"They're almost here!"

"Oh no! Now what?!"

"Get the girls to do something."

"Um… I've got it! Be right back."

Anjali headed to the kitchen and saw that the Gupta girls were done. 

"Thank you all so much for helping," Anjali said. 

"It was nothing," Khushi said. "Do you have anything else you want us to do?"

Perfect! "Um, now that you mention it, see those 6 trays over there with the achaar?"

The girls turned and saw them. 

"If you three don't mind, could you take them by the poolside?"

"Sure," all three said. 

"Great!" And then Anjali realized something. "It would be much faster if you three took two each."

"No problem."

Anjali didn't want them to stress on the work, but she only said it because if they took one at a time, then there would be a possibility of them being in the living room at the wrong time and that would mean… they just couldn't have that happening. 

The girls took two trays, one in each hand. They followed Anjali out to the main hall and she pointed out the way and told them which way to go. Just as they were about to go, the doorbell rang and the girls froze. Anjali looked at the door and then at them. 

Oh no, Anjali thought. "I-is there a problem?"

The girls snapped back and just simply shook their heads and left to the poolside. They were out of sight and Anjali quickly got the pooja taal and Nani, Mami, Mama, Shyam and Anjali went to the door. Nani opened the doors and her heart lightened up as she saw her three grandsons: Arnav, Akash, and Nanhe. 

The three bent down and took blessings from Nani and she had a smile running across her face, end to end. 

"May you all live a long life," Nani said. 

Anjali came in front and her smile ran from end to end. Arnav never considered all of these religious matters but Anjali was Anjali and there was no stopping her. The boys were allowed to come in and they all sat down in the living room. 

"So Chote, how was your trip," Anjali asked. 

"Fine."

"Akash, NK bhai, everything good?"

The two just nodded. 

"Hello, hi, bye, bye," Manorama exclaimed. "What presents did my 3 sons bring for me?"

"You'll see your presents later Ma," Akash smiled. 

"Chote, Akash bitwa, Nanhe bitwa," Deviyani said, "why don'tyou three go uostairs and get some rest."

The boys nodded and headed upstairs. Just as the boys disappeared, Garima came in. 

"All the decorations are completed and the decorators are leaving. Um… did someone come," Garima asked, looking at the taal. 

"Yes," Deviyani smiled. "My grandsons are back."

"Oh! Oh yes, I've heard they left before finishing college here from my daughters."

"Yes, well, they didn't feel comfortable with the system here."

"Oh right, they used to study in America, if I'm not mistaken."

"Yeah," Anjali said. "They were used to the education system there so they decided to go back to New York and finish their educational career there."

"Oh," Garima nodded in acknowledgement. 

"Garimaji," Deviyani said, "come join us for lunch."

"Oh no, I can't-"

"Why not? You've helped us out so much. You have to."

"But-"

"Lucknow people never decline offers like these."

"Well you've got me now, so I can't decline - have to keep the Lucknow spirit alive."

"Of course," Deviyani smiled. 

Everyone headed to the dining table when Deviyani realized something. 

"Where are your daughters," she asked Garima.

"They're-"

Just then, Khushi, Payal, and Seema came. 

Deviyani smiled. "You three please sit next to me. We haven't even had the chance to talk."

They nodded and Khushi sat next to her, Payal next to Khushi, and then Seema. Garima sat next to Seema. All of the food was brought to the table and everyone placed food on their plates. The girls were about to dig in, when they froze. 

Deviyani was about to put food in her mouth when she noticed. She put it down and just as she was about to ask, Arnav, Akash, and NK came downstairs and were walking towards the dining room.

Oh... well this is about to get interesting, the elderly woman smirked to herself.

~
I know it's short but don't worry, I'm posting the next update too