Chapter Three

Khushi, Payal, and Seema arrived home to Gupta Mansion. They walked in, laughing at a joke Payal had made, and Garima came into the living room.

"It hasn't been a minute you three have come home and you're all already laughing like crazy," Garima said, shaking her head.

"So what?"

They all turned to look at Shashi.

"As long as my daughters laugh, this house is filled with laughter, and that's what I like."

The three girls went over to him and took blessings from him and hugged him.

"Did you guys walk home?"

"Yes Babuji," Khushi replied.

"Why? We have a car and-"

"But Chachaji," Payal said, "the campus isn't that far away."

"Besides Babuji," Seema said, "it's better to walk. It's good for your health."

"I understand that, but-"

"But nothing Babuji," Khushi said, cutting him off. "Now go to your room and get some rest, okay?"

Shashi nodded, and him and Garima went upstairs to their room.

*~*

After putting their stuff away and washing up, the three headed to the west wing of the mansion.

The west wing was a really big room. Years ago, when Shashi met Garima, he turned this empty wing into a dance studio, since Garima loved to dance - that's how he fell in love with her.

Now Khushi, Payal, and Seema used it. Garima had taught them steps when they were younger, and now they taught themselves.

Khushi was tying her hair up into a high ponytail when she spoke.

"Payal, get my iPod out from my bag and plug it to the speakers."

"Yes Jiji," and she did what she was told.

"By the way," Khushi said, turning to Seema, "why were you so late?"

"Huh? Oh... well, actually... I... I bumped into someone... a-and all my papers fell out of my hands."

"You're so clumsy," Payal said, making fun of her.

"Jiji!"

"Oh please, don't you two start again," Khushi said.

Payal just laughed and she tapped on 'Shuffle'. The song 'On The Floor' by JLo went off and the three danced away to it. They would choreograph their own dances and they followed along with the song.

After dancing for a while, they decided to take a break.

"Oh yeah, Jiji," Payal said, "isn't there some function tonight on campus?"

"Oh yeah," Seema said, remembering. "Wasn't it something about some math thingy?"

"Yeah," Khushi replied. "And to raise money for the math team, there's also a dance."

"Oh... so are you going?"

"Yeah, since I am captain."

"We know that," Payal said. "We mean the dance. Are you going to go?"

"I have to."

"Oh."

"Don't think I'm going alone. You two are coming with me."

Seema smiled. "Was there ever a doubt?"

Khushi shook her head and smiled.

Meanwhile at Raizada mansion, Arnav, Akash, and NK were getting ready. Each boy was in their room, getting ready for the dance. It wasn't a formal dance, so the boys didn't have to get dressy. The dance was created at the last minute, and the math team had decided that it would just be something normal, instead of people wearing dresses and tuxedos.

Akash and NK headed to Arnav's room.

"Bhai, you ready," Akash asked.

"Yeah," Arnav replied. "Let's go."

They headed out, taking Arnav's car, and drove over. A lot of students were there. In fact, the entire student body was there.

Tickets were sold at the front and it was crazy! Students were piling on top of another, trying to get in fast.

"We'll never get in," Payal complained.

The three had arrived right then and Payal and Seema stared in dismay.

"Well girls," Khushi said, putting her hands around their shoulders, "the good thing is that we can go in from the other side."

"Really?"

"Uh huh."

She smiled and the three went around and went inside the building. Since Khushi was allowed to bring two guests, Payal and Seema got in for free.

Eventually all the other students got in and they were waiting for the DJ to set up. While the DJ was setting up, the headmaster tapped lightly on the mic, and everyone turned to look. Arnav, Akash, and NK looked up, each of their arms around a girl.

"Good evening students," the headmaster said. "Thank you for coming out tonight..."

Arnav sucked his teeth. "Seriously, do we have to hear all this?"

"I know right," Akash said. "It's a friggin' waste of time."

"Sweetheart," Arnav said to the girl he had his arm around, "could you get me something?"

"Of course," she said, in a flirtatious way, and she left.

The other two asked their girl too, and they left.

"So now," the headmaster said, "I'd like to award Ms. Khushi Kumari Gupta..."

Arnav's attention snapped to the stage.

"...for her superb excellence and for aiding the math team to win first place in regionals!"

Payal and Seema gave Khushi a tight squeeze and then Khushi went on stage. She went over to the headmaster and he awarded her with a plaque. A student from the school newspaper snapped a picture of her accepting the award, while the other students clapped lazily, not really caring.

"Well Bhai," Akash said, "Khushi sure is smart, isn't she?"

But Arnav wasn't paying attention.

"Akash," NK said, "she's more of a math geek."

Arnav glared at NK.

"Sorry," NK said, holding his ear.

Arnav looked back at Khushi and crossed his arms. "If anything, she's my math geek."

Akash and NK made a 'o' shape with their mouths, hiding a smile.

"So, Nanav," NK said. "What are you gonna do?"

Arnav didn't reply and just looked at Khushi obnoxiously.

"Yeah Bhai," Akash said, "what are you gonna do?"

Arnav continued to look at Khushi,and then turned his head to look at his cousins. "Just watch."

Khushi was getting off the stage and was heading over to Payal and Seema, when Arnav called out.

"Yo math geek!"

Khushi froze and her eyes widened. Payal and Seema looked at each other, while Akash and NK looked at each other. The other students were confused and looked at Arnav, trying to figure out what he was doing.

Arnav smirked. Just what I wanted, he thought and then he yelled. "Palat!"