Chapter Four : Can't You See

I don't get it... How can I be nauseous from sleep deprivation, barely able to see, and downright tired, but no matter how hard I try, I can't fall asleep? Ugh. I normally like the long commune to school. I'm pretty sure you've already guessed that today was the exception. Congrats, you're a genius. Woo-freaking-hoo.

"Grace, come on, you've got to tell me what's up with you! You've been fucking silent since you got off the bus yesterday. Yesterday, Grace! Did someone die or something? It had to be something pretty damn serious, since nothing I've done in fourteen fucking years has shut you up" I groaned and tugged the hood of my jacket over my eyes, clicking the living daylights out of the window-button-thing in an attempt to get myself fresh air -or as fresh air as you can get on the back roads of the suburbs. Its better than the chemical air fresheners my brother has hung in this car. All fresh linen, thankfully, since the one time he tried using one of the tropical fruity ones, and I'd actually thrown up on the side of the high way... I have to say, I felt a lot better than I do now...

"I'm asleep" I gave him my best fuck-off voice, but I knew he'd ignore it. Sawyer has a knack for being so very fucking irritating.

"And I'm the family's lesbian bitch" my older brother snorted.

"There is an irritating new student. I am not looking forward to being anywhere near her today, tomorrow, or any other god damn day. Now shut up, fuck off, and let me sleep" his laugh was even more annoying when I was tired and irate.

"Finally! Welcome to the world, kid, you gots the girl problems" he chuckled evilly. "Seriously though, Grace, whats up with you?" I growled but reluctantly started to talk.

"I try being friendly, she tells me to fuck off, she says she wants to know why I'm pissed at her and after telling her she shouldn't tell people to fuck off so bluntly when they clearly tried to be friendly with you, and she tells me I am 'merly a thing that exists in the world with her' and she wants a neutrality, and she does not like me, and she does not want to be my friend" I felt a familiar garboil mixed with blunt frustration -which, by the way, isn't implicitly sexual, though I'm not entirely excluding that possibility from the list of things that are wrong today.

"You put it that way... Damn, little sis. She sounds like a bitch. You got her name?"

"Hazel" I grumbled brusquely.

"That limits it down to our step cousin twice removed, Evan's girlfriend's sister, or the four year old who lives next door to us. Anything else?" Sawyer rolled his eyes with sarcasm. 

"Evan has a girlfriend?" I faked an interest in a desperate attempt to avert Sawyer's attention. He had a weakness for gossip on his boys. "I thought he hasn't got a number since the whole pink dress thing with Marley" 

"He hasn't" Sawyer was already laughing his lungs out his throat. I couldn't help but snort with amusement at the memory of Sawyer's senior buddy in a hot pink dress, and whatever Marley had glued onto him to make him look as embarrassingly stereotypical feminine as she could.

"He should have known better than to accept Marley's dare" I shrugged, restraining my smile, though the instinct was so severe I couldn't help one side of my mouth curling involuntarily. 

"Ain't that the truth" he pretended to wipe away a tear. "But seriously, I've heard that story before. Tell me more 'bout this new chick"

"I'm fourteen. Now please leave me alone" I tried -and failed- to imitate her voice, my impression of her faint accent was a complete disaster. I couldn't quite get her voice. It was hard, direct, cold and brutal. But the lucidity and melody of it was not lost on me. I don't even know where it's from; it sounds... Unlike any accent I know, and far better, too.