Chapter Thirty-Seven : Playing with Fire

"So... Grace, you and Ana caught up well?" Ms. Levison interrupted the awful silence around us.

"Yeah. We're back in business" Tatiana smirked playfully at me from across the table. She'd been forced to sit there when Hazel beat her to the seat beside me, the seat to the other side of me taken by Megan. The former was indignant as a three year old when Tatiana tried to take her seat.

Do you have any idea how awkward it is to be caught between an ex and a Hazel? Please, you may have had bad, but she brings the devil where she goes.

"You aren't thinking of getting back with Grace, correct?" Alright, alright, I admit it. You'd have to be an idiot to ignore Hazel's oh so obvious jealousy. But it still sucks.

"I don't know. Ace has grown up a little. Maybe she can handle me this time" Tatiana winked at me with a joking smile that Hazel clearly missed. She was growling again.

"That would be wonderful" my mother cheered "you two were the cutest little sweethearts"

"Mom. It was in middle school. I'm pretty sure you grow out of the sweetheart phase when you're ten" I rolled my eyes, my face flushed all the same.

"You can do better, Tatiana" my dad shrugged casually, closing one eye while the opened one stared at me mischievously.

"How did you break up?" Hazel cut in. Out of the corner of my eye I saw her trying to hide the huge blaring glare she was giving me and my ex.

"We decided we were more kissing friends than a couple" Tatiana chuckled, stabbing some of her salad.

"Ugh. You two wouldn't stop with the kissing" my dad groaned.

"They didn't seem to kiss much when I was around" ms. Levison laughed.

"That's because you thought we were cute. Grace made a point of kissing more around mr. Daniels just to spite him"

"Ana! You're so not allowed to rat me out like that!" I exclaimed only to make everyone but you-know-who burst into laughter.

"Why is it this was amusing to you?" Hazel narrowed her eyes, growling, her pleasant (although mildly terrifying) good girl front pealing away with her growing anger.

"Hazel. Don't you think it may be none of your business?" Megan whisper yelled discreetly over at her sister.

"I think it is very much my business, seeing as it involves my friend kissing people" Hazel choked on the word friend. Why the heck am I not surprised?

"Hm. Seems like you have a little more than friendship on your mind there, Hazel" my dad smirked. I turned a deep shade of red and groaned while Hazel just put on a blank face.

"I think Grace's history concerns me regress of my personal intentions" Hazel had that insanely irritating professional I'm-better-than-you tone in her voice.

"How cute. Ace, I think she likes you" Ana smirked at me from across the table. Before mouthing 'we'll talk' at me inconspicuously. Hazel's body rumbled again with a growl. Hm, I think she caught my ex's silent conversation.

"My interests do not concern you" she snapped. Megan sighed with irritation before excusing herself and dragging her triplet to talk in the foyer.

"She's totally in love with you, Ace" Tatiana winked at me.

"And she isn't as hard on the eyes as your past girlfriends" my dad teased, earning a chuckle from April and a snort from her daughter.

"Maybe. But only until she actually starts dating your daughter" ms. Levison pointed out.

"That could not be more true" my dad laughed.

"And she seems like a nice girl" I choked on my next breath. "Oh, sweetie, you're choking"

"I can see that, mom" I choked. "And I think if I was going to consider dating her -which I'm definitely not- it's going to be out of my own interest. Not because y'all are listing the reasons why I should" I groaned.

"I don't know. I did persuade your mother to have you. And she really didn't want kids" my father stated.

"Yeah, like that really took that much talking" I rolled my eyes. Ana and her mother chuckled. "I'm glad you're amused" Ana just nodded, still giggling.

"We're back" "I'm back" Megan and Hazel stated simultaneously.

"And we were just talking about you" Ana grinned at Hazel. The latter simple glared lazily back at my ex.

. . .

After about an hour more of my parents flirting with Hazel 'for me', Hazel glaring at me, Ana laughing at me, and me needing to bang my head on something, ms. Levison said her goodbyes and left her daughter with me since she'd be going to school with me in the morning and didn't feel like waking up as early as the teachers do. So the two of us -Ana and I- were doing some more catching up in the study while Hazel and Megan did whatever Hazels and Megans do.

"So, you're single and your soulmate has jealousy issues. I can work with this" she leaned back in the couch she was sitting on.

"Don't you dare. I want nothing to do with that demon, and the more jealous she gets, the more clingy she gets. And clingy jealous Hazel is not fun" I had this gut feeling that Ana would help me anyway. "Besides, its not like I have to be in love with her. I can still fall in love with other people, right?"

"Who told you that?" Tatiana tilted her head "your soulmate is the person you're going to fall for" okay. Stop. Reality check, please! No. I am not falling for Hazel. I have my whole life ahead of me and it ain't being used moping around over some attractive devil who happened to show up. No.

"Oh, she's coming" Ana giggled and before I knew what she was taking about, she was kissing me. Hard. Her hands held my face still and her thumbs lightly rested over my eyes, keeping them closed. I didn't struggle because kissing Ana was a familiar act. It didn't seem romantic with her, not after we realized that our whole relationship had really been us being friends that, well, kissed. It was just friendly.

"There. I'm really sorry" Tatiana pulled away with a guilty smirk that was also something like triumphant.

"It's fine. Why'd you kiss me?" I scowled.

"Oh. I'm not sorry about kissing you. I'm sorry about that" she pointed To the doorway were Megan was standing with her jaw on the floor.

"That's Megan"

"I know. Believe me, you can tell them apart after a second. Your girlfriend just ehm coincidentally walked by right when I kissed you"

"What" I deadpanned. I am going to kill this girl.

"Oh hey look at the time! I'm going to go steal your shower and you can go deal with the fuming second" the soon-to-be-dead ex of mine pat my shoulder before bolting off to shower.

"Are you two-" Megan started.

"No"

"Hazel is going to-"

"I know"

"She is probably going to-"

"Yeah I wanna kill Ana too"

"You should probably deal with-"

"I know. Jealous Hazel. I'll see you in the next life" I groaned before walking after my ex, deciding to leave taming Hazel to her more capable sister. "Night"