Chapter Sixty-One : Megan's Dilema

It had been a full week of dating Hazel. And I use the term very loosely. She's an extraordinarily paranoid creature, and it's not like I blame her... I'm just fed up with her public boundaries. If I look at her she tells me off in private- and if I ignore her, she gets attention deprivation. Which is cute, but then she gets pissed about it. And a pissed Hazel is hot as hell, but useless.

But really, I've enjoyed her. More than I really want to admit, I enjoyed her paranoia, her sharp attitude, her everything, really.

And on the bright side, we have been spending more quality time together. I spend almost ever night at her house until nine before curfew (meaning parents snickering when I walk in the door. It happened once and not again. Ever.). We talk mostly. Kiss, yeah, but seventy percent of the time is talk. I felt myself falling deeper and deeper into my feelings for her. And it was so... Exhilarating? Yeah. It was. And made me into a nervous wreck.

Anyway, back to the one problem at hand. Dating Hazel. It's not the relationship that's an issue, but dating to her means chill and do something in secret.

I mean no one seems to see us together. She occasionally met with me at the same time Jamine was around, but I have heard nothing of Megan's existence since I saw her that night when Hazel introduced herself as my girlfriend to my parents. No Megan. I was beginning to worry, but Hazel occasionally ended up on the phone with her while I was around, speaking to her only in her Fairy language. I'd noticed that she also never answers her phone while Jamine is around. I haven't asked because I valued my life and my relationship.

Sometimes we hung out at my house, but Hazel voiced her distaste of her parent-friendly facade. I was neutral about the situation, so she won and I went to her house.

Currently, Hazel was kicking my ass at Super Smash Bros Brawl on the Wii U (because Jamine likes gaming and apparently you can stockpile a lot of pocket change if you've been around as long as she has).

"No way! You're not allowed to win like ninety times in a row! Marley can't even beat me once!" I groaned after Hazel won again. I mean, she had to be cheating. No matter what character she is she always wins!

"I am. And it was only eight rounds." She shrugged.

"How?" I whined, laying down on the soft carpet in her living room.

"Strategy. Each character has its advantages and disadvantages." She sighed deeply. "I'm bored."

"Well, you're the hostess." I rolled onto my back and sat up, now facing her. "Or we could go out like a normal couple?" I tried.

"No." Well, it was worth the attempt. "We've been over this. We're not public. And we will not be made public in the near future." She reiterated for the billion and twelfth time.

"But Micha and Marley are public... What's different? If it's about you being closeted, just tell me. I just want to know why it is that my girlfriend doesn't want to be seen in public with me." I frowned.

"Grace, we are not Micha and Marley, first. Secondly, I'm still not gay. And lastly, it's because I do not want a repeat of what happened before, when you were attacked. Contrary to what you seem to believe, I did not enjoy finding you in that position." She stated flatly. My mind wandered back to when I'd been ambushed by that pack of Night-Scholars and how they'd subjected me to some degree of torture.

"Oh. I get it." I still think you're denying your gaiety, though, I added to myself. "I can't help but wonder why those people were so mad at you, Hazel..."

"Okay." She stated. I sighed internally.

"Would you enlighten me?" I specified. She exhaled her entire capacity of air and nodded.