Chapter Fifty-One : Say Something

The whole deal with the strangers showing up at my house eventual died down, Riley and Kayla both promised they were handling everything at the N.S. but Micha and Marley still decided to stay the night with me.

Coincidentally, my parents were out that day, and wouldn't be getting home for another few hours, even after Micha, Marley, and I were the only ones left. Everyone else left.

I was currently heating up some leftover steak from the night if been at Hazel's and my parents decided to have a fancy dinner without me. Marley and Micha were having a talk in the guest bedroom. Something about Micha having some P.T.S.D. or the like. Apparently whatever made Hazel pass out is well known to Micha too. Just not enough to make her go unconscious.

I ate my leftovers and waited for either or both to come out and talk to me but I finished before that happened. So, after cleaning up my dishes, I walked over to the guest room.

"You two clothed?" I knocked on the door before entering. What? I knew enough about people to knock before walking in on a couples' alone time.

"Yeah" Marley answered. As soon as they were in sight, I found Micha sitting cross-legged on top of the bed, and Marley sitting next to her, leaning a little on her shoulder. I didn't take the sight without a degree of envy.

"I'll go steal some of Gracie's ice cream" Marley kissed Micha's cheek before leaving the two of us alone. When she passed me, she gave me an unreadable- although seemingly piteous- expression.

"So..." I let my voice trail off, unsure where to start.

"Look, Grace, what you're getting into is something very personal and it's not really my place to say anything" Micha looked down at her lap. "I'm sorry, but this you're going to have to hear from Hazel herself and you're going to have to wait to hear it in person. I swear I'd tell you if I could, but I really can't" she set a sad, almost nervous gaze onto me.

"Okay" I nodded. "If you can't, you can't"

"What? No fight?" Micha seemed surprised by this.

"I don't know what cruel torture dating Marley has been like but if you're not willing to tell me something, I'm not going to make you" I chuckled. Micha snorted with amusement.

"See, babe, I told you she'd be cool" Marley walked back in like she owned the place-which, the time she spends here, might as well have.

"You were listening the whole time" I rolled my eyes at my friend. She gave Micha a kiss before grinning back up at me.

"You get me" she teased. "Now go away so I can make out with my girlfriend" she added. Micha snorted and rolled her eyes.

"Jeez, just wash the sheets and open the windows when you're done" I mused.

"We're not doing anything like that. She just wants to watch How to Train Your Dragon and cuddle me without making you feel bad" Micha explained. I laughed a little while Marley pouted.

"Either way, I'll see you two tomorrow"

"Oh! Grace! Stay home tomorrow. You know, better safe than sorry" She gave me a lopsided smile. I nodded. Honestly, I didn't see the point in staying home if Alexa already knew where I was, but I trusted Micha so... I mean, she is a professional... Right?

I walked my way up to my bedroom, ignoring the chill that crept up my spine at the sight of the feather and envelope that I'd put on my desk.

Unable to resist, I picked up the large feather by its shaft and twirled it gently between my thumb and index finger. I ran my other index finger carefully over the interlocked strands of the feather's body, making sure that the artifact was not damaged and the strands stayed together.

I don't know what I found so fascinating about it. But I was sure that my original interest was because this feather -whatever it indicated- made ms. Scary-agent-with-a-psycho-sister go out cold. So this little thing was either really bad, or a sign of a dual apocalypse.

But I still thought it was a really pretty feather.

But what could have happened to make Hazel so sensitive to it?

Ding.

A new text alert.

I grabbed my phone off my nightstand.

Unknown Number : This is Hazel.

I quickly added the number to my contacts and then texted back.

Me : Hi. Want to tell me what happened today?

Hazel : Not particularly. I will tell you more about it when I see you again. As for that feather, don't lose it. Don't break it. Don't touch it.

Me : -.-

Hazel : I'm not kidding, Grace

Me : Neither am I, Hazel. Your freak sister was at my house and I have no idea what's going on. You owe me answers. I'm not taking silence for an answer. End of story.

Hazel : You will know what you need and no more. You are not at liberty to tell me what to do. What I do tell you will be by my rules and by my preference or you will not be trusted with this at all.

Me : Sure. Whatever you wish, oh lord of my life. I'm going to sleep.

Okay, I admit to almost throwing my phone across the room when Hazel went on her 'I'm the important one, deal with it' rant. I mean I've seriously had enough of her telling me what to do. I really, really wish I could just stop caring and be done with that irritating jerk, maybe move to somewhere tropical and warm, somewhere with delicious exotic fruits, and change my name so she'll never find me. But I think she'd somehow still find me one way or another, and I'm still a minor so I can't do shit about that tropical vacation.

**Hey, hey, it's me. Boring filler, I know... Buuuut I can promise you that something interesting is gonna happen soon and I'll just figure out how exactly it's going to go down... One way or another, it's going to be hilarious, awkward, and life changing. For the characters anyway... Idk about y'all readers... XD