Chapter Eighty: Catalyst

"Hazel?" Grace's brother was the first to barge into the conference room and notice me. Megan was with me; she was comforting me and my nerves as we waited for the Daniels. "Where's Grace?!" He demanded.

"We'll explain everything once everyone is here." Riley, who was sitting at the conference table, stated with a solemn look.

"Bull; where is my sister and who are you people? Why did you kidnap my family?!"

I knew it was my fault he was angry. I knew it was my fault Grace was in danger. And I think Megan knew it too, because she pulled me in and amplified her soothing words, aware of my shaking and probably if the fact that I was again close to tears.

"Hazel? Megan?" Grace's mother was the next to greet us. She sounded more concerned, which was better and worse than anger.

"Ms. Daniels, hi." Megan replied.

"Hazel, honey, are you okay?" Grace's mother asked, and Megan gently turned me to her so I could answer.

"I-" I couldn't answer. She just looked so sad. And like Grace. I started crying again.

"Aw, honey-" ms. Daniels reached out to me, and before I knew it, she had her arms wrapped tightly around me, holding fast onto my back. I yelped and tried to twist away, making her arms rub against my wounds excruciatingly.

"Hazel!" Megan cried, stealing me out of Ms. Daniels' arms. I sobbed from pain, confusion, and misery onto my sister's shoulder.

"W-are you okay?! I'm so sorry!" Ms. Daniels gasped, bewildered.

"She's fine. Hazel, like a lot of the other people here, have had a large surgery on their back and her wounds have not yet closed up." Riley explained.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I remember you said you had a back surgery, I'm so sorry, sweetheart."

"You already told them?" Riley muttered more in awe than in annoyance.

"Not about the reason why." Megan told her for me.

"Alright then." Riley replied. "Ah, Mr. Daniels. Would you and your family please have a seat?" She addressed the whole party after I guessed Grace's father appeared. Megan gently coaxed me into my chair, letting me view the Daniels as they cautiously sat and watched Riley. "Thank you. My name is Riley, and I'm the Sinclairs' advisor here at the Night School. You were brought here because an issue has come up and we believe it is time to introduce you to the realities you are not yet aware of."

"Okay, but what does this have to do with Grace?" Sawyer folded his arms, skeptically watching us. Grace's father was also giving us a serious look. Only Grace's mother seemed legitimately ready to listen. I almost wanted to laugh (and also cry); Grace's family was just so normal. Her brother would protect her, her dad would be like every stereotypically conflicted or concerned father to exist, and her mother would be the normal maternal figure in the group.

"Hey, hush, this has to be important, otherwise we would not be hearing it." The brunette woman gave her son a look.

"Thank you, Miss." Riley sighed. She went on to explaining who worked at the Night School and how none of us were human. None of the Daniels bought it at all until Riley transformed into a doe (as was one of her abilities as a Shapeshifter). Then it took some convincing from there to make them believe Megan and I weren't human, since we were unable outwardly show our inhumanity without our wings (or showing them our inhuman stamina, but it's not like I was about to tell them that I'd had their daughter pass out in bed before I was even tired). And honestly, I was a lot more afraid of their reaction to my sister kidnapping their daughter/sister than revealing the true nature of myself and Megan.