Chapter Fourteen : The Game

"Hey. How's life been?" I didn't even make it out of the school before I was greeted by a perky version of... God, so many colorful words to describe one Hazel.

"Your sister is avoiding me" I drew my hair back with one hand and let it fall back messily, too unmotivated to run my hand the whole length of brunette strands to untangle it.

"She's a tough kid. She got word from Libby, Riley tried to talk her into being nicer, so they made a compromise for Hazel to do one thing you wanted. She decided she couldn't handle you and would instead just leave you alone" Megan shrugged. I swear I still haven't gotten over the whole Hazel-but-nice thing Megan has going for her.

"Huh? When did I ask-"

"She said that you said that if she couldn't respect you, she should leave you alone. I just changed a word to make it sound better" she gestured for me to follow her outside. This time, I obeyed. I had a little more trust in the girl since last time. Today was my return to the Night School, and I still have no clue why.

"Please. I know she hates me. I just don't care about that. I'm pretty sure I've made it clear that what I feel for her is skin deep. I don't love her. I don't like her. It's my body reacting to her's. Nothing but fucked up chemistry" I sighed after my mini rant. How do I tell her I have a crush on Hazel without implying that I like her? Oh! I change the subject! That's a good idea.

"Why do I need to go back to the N.S.?" I shifted my messenger bag on my shoulder.

"I guess Riley just wants to make sure you and Hazel are on the right track. There are some things Hazel can't screw up on. You are one of those. I think Libby might show up with Zee to give you the full run down, but the Academy will limit how much you know how soon. Zee and Libby's family are just about the only ones above the Academy, but they do know the limits" Megan found her car, a black middle class car that wasn't too fancy or too much like a vehicle for a soccer mom. "You can leave your bag in the back seat or the trunk. I don't really care" she stated as she slipped into the driver's seat. I dropped the bag in the back and sat in the passenger seat. I chuckled at the little Macintosh apple scented air freshener on her rear view mirror. I actually loved those things, it's my favorite candle scent. The car also had a pleasant floral, relaxing aroma I couldn't place.

"Mmm... What's that smell?" I looked over at Megan. The girl had this huge thermos-mug tilted at one-eighty degrees to her mouth, lifted completely vertical.

"Hm? That would be my tea... Hazel must've drank it all-wait no. Drunk? Either way it's gone" she pouted and shoved the mug into a cup holder. Why couldn't I like this one? She is cuter than Hazel. Definitely. And I think it's pretty clear she'd be better for me than Hazel could ever be.

"Why are you looking at me like that, thirteen?" She chuckled.

"I was thinking that life would have been easier if Hazel was more like you" Megan laughed wholeheartedly "and what's up with you people calling me thirteen?"

"I was hanging out with Micha the other day, and she always calls you thirteen so I started calling you thirteen. She says it's because Hazel is thirteen, thirteen is almost as unlucky as you are, and it has no middle, which I think was just a play in how it's ever sibling but Hazel, and you could do fun mathy stuff and figure out more" she mused.

"Fun mathy how?"

"One and three are part of a mathematical sequence found in everything, the same way you can't avoid Hazel. The number sequence forms the golden spiral, an infinite pattern that will never change, just like Hazel and her issues. Three minus one is two, one minus three is negative two, one plus three is a multiple of two, and Hazel's favorite number. There are probably more but I'm not as mathematically advanced as Hazel. I can, however, spell certain. She can't. I love it" she laughed. Alright, I knew all this stuff. But Megan is thirteen. Kinda impressive for a girl her age.

"Why is she so good at math and science? Why does she suck at English and recent history?"

"It's genetics, mostly. Oldest is the English and recent history specialist, middle can lean either way, and youngest knows fractals and the chemical composition of a nuclear bomb before they open their eyes. Hazel leans more toward her other sister, unfortunately"

"Yeah, Micha told me about the whole youngest is the devil, middle is between and oldest is all glitter" I chuckled. That placed Megan at glitter.

"Yeah. Also why our sister is the one who graduated the N.S. and got shipped off to the Academy, why I got kicked out of the N.S. training program at around seven, and why Hazel only got expelled now. Poor girl" Megan shook her head slowly. "I know that you must really not like her, god, I want to skin her too often for a healthy family, but please, please don't give up on her. She really does like you, she just doesn't understand what she is feeling. She is too much like Alexa, only she has real emotions. She doesn't understand them. She just needs someone to make her less afraid" Megan whispered at me.

"Alexa?" Her eyes suddenly widened and she skid to a halt on the side of the road, looking terrified. She looked around frantically, causing me to panic. "What?!"

"Where?!" She stammered at me.

"Wh-" suddenly the ebonette groaned and banged her head softly on the steering wheel.

"Ugh. I did it again. Sorry. Alexa is our sister. She tried to kill me a few times. She was the reason Hazel was expelled. Hazel and I kind of both go ballistic if anyone aside from the other says her name. Should have warned you" she said it so casually I actually didn't notice the part about- oh my god she tried to kill her?!

"Why did she try to kill you?!"

"I'm the oldest. I'm the perfect opposite of her. She wanted me and my different way of thinking out of her life. I'm sorry. It's sort of something I don't like talking about. I suggest you take it up with Hazel, if you're really interested" her voice was so soft and fragile I couldn't help but want to help her. The was even a split second when I thought Hazel had just opened to me and the worst part is that I got my brain back an instant before I tried to kiss her. Smooth move, Grace. No more trying to kiss anyone with black hair and blue eyes-mother freaking- now I'm thinking of them again!

"I lost the game" I muttered under my breath. Megan gave an amused W.T.F. look. "The game is not to think about the game. If you think of the game you have to say 'I lost the game'" girl threw her head back, grinning but only allowing small chuckles through her lips.

"I really like you. Do me a favor and don't let Hazel scare you off?" Just as she said that I spotted a figure frozen a hundred or so feet away.

"Grace" why did I miss that?