Chapter Eleven : Feeling Blue

"You can take it off now" Hazel was probably rolling her eyes as I scrambled to remove the black-out glasses she'd forced me to wear.

To recap, she did finally get me out of the awkward underground. Of course she had me blind folded while she led me into a good number of walls on the way to a car. I don't know who was driving the car, but we were at a gas station when she alas stopped the engine and spoke to me. Back to the drama.

"Why the heck did I have to wear those things?" I glowered down at the goggles. I hate stuff touching my face.

"I don't trust you to stay quiet" she answered simply. With a whir she restarted the car we were in. I am not going to lie, I know nothing about cars. Literally. I do know that this car must have cost a fortune. I think it falls under the category of a sports car. It's like the kind of black shiny car that would look good in a James Bond movie.

"How old are you?" I tensed, the car jerked into motion. No way she could have been the one driving the whole time!

"Why do you need to know?" She played around with the buttons on the dashboard. Again, I am clueless as to what she is doing.

"I don't feel safe" I whined. It sounded way less pathetic in my head...

"I'm thirteen" and cue the surprised face. "Close your mouth" she grumbled.

"You should not be driving!" I was tempted to try and escape the vehicle, but she was going too fast already.

"Mhm..." She ignored me. "There are two options here. Shut up, stop overreacting, and stay conscious, or tell me your address and I will drive there while you're unconscious"

"Don't you dare knock me out again!" I snapped. Hazel snorted.

"What did Micha say to you?" Hazel's voice flattened suddenly.

"Is that really relevant to the fact that a thirteen year old psychopath is driving me!?"

"I will answer a question of yours if you answer mine" she spat. God, she knew exactly where I was weak. I need to know what was going on... And she seemed to be able to avoid crashing.

"Fine. She said some stuff about why I was there, and how you're not going to tell me anything. Why do you hate her?" Hazel though for a few moments.

"I envy her. She knows it and more to my aggravation, she knows me too well" she had jealous venom in her voice. "Why do you care so much about my life?"

"You're an interesting person. What is the Night School?"

"Classified. I have no more questions"

"But I do!" I groaned.

"I will not answer any more questions" she cast a bored look towards me.

"Why do people keep bringing up Libby? Why are you a 'classic middle-let'? What is with the superhuman sense of smell you people have? What did Micha mean about hitting hard? Would you stop giving me that look?!" I rushed, only stopping when Hazel gave me the 'I will flipping kill you if you don't stop talking this instant' expression.

"Libby is essentially a fortune teller. Micha, Megan, and Riley are under the notion that Libby's predictions are always accurate. Personally I find them as reliable as she is.

I am a normal middle triplet because I have normal issues... Given the circumstances" she snarled the word issues with the most bone chilling, blood curdling, betrayed tone you only hear in your deepest fears. "I have better sensory. She meant nothing that will ever happen. I will stop giving you that look when you stop giving me a headache" she finished. I blinked. Looks like that whole heart-to-heart thing earlier had given something in the eyes of Hazel. Mm... Ironic because her eyes are blue. Oh god, I'm going to hate myself for thinking this, but she has really pretty eyes. Yeah. I hate myself. I am dying to just drone on and on about how infuriatingly hypnotic her eyes are. It's like looking at perfect sapphire. Or the middle of a clean ocean. It is going to kill me. If you look hard enough, you'd notice little flecks of sky blue, making it look from afar like her eyes are stone and what you think you see is the light reflecting off them.

"What is wrong with you?" I just wish I could have her eyes to myself... Just her eyes. Leave the attitude behind. "Grace. What is wrong with you?!" See what I mean?

"What is it this time, Hazel?" I gave her my sweetest glare.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" She had a weird look. It was hard, but also very curious. You'd miss it if you weren't scanning her constantly. Guilty.

"Like what?" I groaned, bored with Hazel's overly close-to-home questions, or the questions that were too ridiculously stupid to tolerate.

"Smiling" she replied flatly. "You're looking at me and smiling"

"I found it ironic that your name is Hazel and your eyes are blue"

"I'm sure" uhuh. I'm sure she could try a little harder to cover up the fact that she didn't believe me. "Why do you like me?" She prodded.

"I thought we already went over this; hormones" I really did try not to roll my eyes... It just didn't work.

"But that is just what you want me to believe. Why do you like me?" Hazel was nothing if not persistent.

"Hormones. I. Don't. Like. You" I grumbled.

"You do. Why?"

"You're pretty"

"Okay. Why do you like me?" I growled in irritation. Now was just one of those times when I get annoyed with everything, and Hazel brought that up in me increasingly often.

"Because I do. Leave me alone" and just like that, Hazel let it go.

A long time passed before anything happened. The drive was way longer than expected, so the silence was so thick and long I could feel it on my skin. It was just tree after tree after tree in the forest, and we'd only just seen a house when I noticed something.

"You okay?" The silence turned to thick, nerve racking tension.

"I hate the sky" Hazel muttered. I knew she'd be looking out the window if she wasn't obligated to watch the road. "I don't like this drive. I always have to look at it" she added, now turning her gaze to me. "You have nice eyes. The sky is never brown. Land is, yet it doesn't feel the same" she whispered, again looking back at the road. A lone tear caught on her cheek bone.

Needless to say, I was surprised. My heart stopped for at least a minute... Okay, it was probably only a few seconds, but it sure as hell felt a lot longer. But then, she kept talking.

"And it might not seem like much to you, but I try. I really do try. You're going to think that after me telling you this, I will be open to whatever you want me to say... But it doesn't work like that. In the end, if you get close to me, I will damage you, I will not know how or why, but I always do. I can't be close to someone who doesn't understand. It is not possible" and again she was silent. And again the silence reigned until we returned to a familiar location. I'd been watching her the whole time. I'd been consumed by the meaning of her words to the point where nothing else mattered. It was just echoes around in my brain, whispers around in the darkness of Hazel's inner workings.

"Grace?" for the first time, I wasn't pained to hear that. I liked it. I freaking liked it. I knew I was gravitating toward the ravonette, and I almost ignored the danger. "Grace" there was some of the edge we were missing. "If you listened at all to what I just told you, you should know better than to try this" she pushed my shoulders back. It took me a moment, but I realized she'd done so with both hands. Why is this relevant? I don't know, maybe the thirteen year old took both hands off the steering wheel- oh... We'd parked. "You can tell me where you live, or I can drop you off here"

"Uh..." I paused to get my head back in the real world, then told her Marley's address. My house was a long drive away, and I could not handle that much exposure to any version of Hazel. Marley, on the other hand... I needed some time with that idiot and her ability to give insulting pep talks. And she lived like five minutes from the school.

Hazel drove me there in complete silence, and continued her peace while dropping me off. The next words I heard were Marley's as she told me off for disappearing on the gang. I pretty much made a fool of myself by hugging her until she shut up and realized today had been a traumatic experience for me.