Chapter Forty-Five : Dinner At The Sinclairs' Part One

Basically I'd given Marley and Micha the silent treatment since whatever had happened this morning, and now I was wondering why the hell I was actually listening to Hazel, sitting in the passenger seat of Megan's car, on my way to their house.

"So, what exactly happened this morning?" Megan started as we waited for a red light to change.

"Micha and Marley are making me and Hazel spend more time together. I don't know why they think it's a good idea, but there it is" I sighed. She nodded slowly, looking forward with a scowl. "From that look, I don't know if asking how bad Hazel is reacting to this would be such a good idea"

"Well, she called about three hours ago-" I quickly did the math and assumed she'd called right after school had let out "-to tell me she was going to be at the N.S. for a few hours, so I'd say she's venting at the gym. Seconds do that a lot sort of stuff a lot" she shrugged. "How about you? You're clearly not too happy about this"

"Not really a fan of it"

"Figured" she chuckled. "I totally wish I could say something to improve the situation, but I doubt anything would help" she added.

"You'd be right" looking out the window, I saw we were moving again.

"She told you about our sister, yeah?" I nodded "how much?"

"Winter" came my short response.

"Winter" the triplet girl slowed down the car slightly. "She told you that Winter liked her, but chose Alexa because she was more approachable?" I nodded again "and you never wondered why?"

"I figured Hazel was different before"

"She is different now. She used to be... Cold, heartless, violent... I could keep going but you get the point. Alexa..." she let out a long, thick sigh. "Alexa is smart. She knows how to appear pleasant. Winter was already in the N.S. because she had some supernatural blood, not enough to make a difference, but she still knew about our world. She joined the N.S. later than Hazel and Alexa, who, by then, were already in the Academy, and they met when my sisters returned for some business Alexa had with me. Alexa saw that Winter liked Hazel, so she used that to her advantage" she whispered. "Hazel never understood any of it"

"No offence, but why is that relevant?" I turned back to her, realizing we'd come to a stop outside a beige colored house.

"It's relevant because Hazel learned from that. I just thought I should warn you that Hazel is a very good actress" she didn't look at me while she said that, instead, she was playing with the keys to her car. "And if you do need me, for whatever reason, and I mean, Hazel's triplet sister or not, I am both" she smiled at me before getting out. "Come on, she's probably home by now" I got out of the car behind her. The doors clicked and locked.

Outside, it was cool, but not cold, definitely a spring evening. The kind that should have been very uplifting and fresh.

Megan lead me up a short stone tile walk to the front door of the house, playing with her keys again before unlocking the door and pushing it open. Inside, the foyer was small and strangely welcoming, a staircase visible, and a hallway beside it. There were some glass doors in place of the wall closest to the stairs, some white curtains on the inside kept its interior hidden.

"Hazel, are you home?!" Megan called up the staircase.

"Yeah" came the reply. The second triplet took her time coming down the stairs, her eyes met mine for a moment, and if she had a reaction to me, she kept it well masked. I, in return, did the same. I also tried to ignore her outfit. It wouldn't help if I thought on it enough to describe it, but she was wearing black pajama shorts and a sleeveless white turtle neck top, hair soaked and smelt strongly of something pleasant, light, and floral, maybe cherry blossom, jasmine or honeysuckle. The fragile scent hit me as a pleasant surprise; I'd expected her to smell more like mint or maybe citrus.