Chapter Two : My Friend

As the minutes ticked on, still waiting for Marley to return with our friend, I elected to take out my phone and put both ear buds in, blocking out all the world except my Christina Perri Head or Heart play-list. I stared out the window, lost in the music and in thought. I was so engrossed that I almost didn't notice that Hazel was studying me. I felt like a test subject. I felt like I was a little rat under her experiments and trials, here to be warped and persuaded into a maze of her devices, only to hope for a little reward at the end of it all. 

I took out one of my ear buds.

"Do you want to talk about anything?" I tossed her a smile, but it was in vain. Hazel was still as emotionless as ever. I just wanted anything. A smile, a glare, a sign I was accepted or at least acknowledged. 

"No" Hazel replied simply. 

"You sure? You have no questions about academic courses, after school programs, little secluded nooks to have lunch where no one will bother you?" 

"No"

"Do you have any friends?"

"Socialization is a distraction and a nuisance" 

"Oh..." Once more lets just pretend that didn't send a hammer and chisel to have its way at my chest. I have never felt anything like this. Never so vulnerable to anything. "You could have just told me to shut up" and spared me the hope of anything.... 

"Hello, loves" Marley's voice echoed up the flight of stairs just as I was about to put my ear buds back in. She came into view with Robyn and her boyfriend Cael. 

"Hey, Mar, Robbie, vegetable" I smiled at them. "Robbie, vegetable, this is Hazel. Hazel this is Robyn and Cael"

"Hello" Cael said, looking Hazel over. I couldn't help a flood of jealousy through my veins. Odd. I've had a good number of interests before, and never felt jealous when my friends jokingly checked them out. 

"Hi, I'm Robyn, this stupid perv is my boyfriend Cael" Robyn elbowed Cael in the chest. 

"I'm sorry" Hazel scowled, looking back between them critically.

"Oh, that was a joke" Robyn smiled awkwardly.

"I know" 

"Aren't you just full of all things good" Cael put his arm around Robyn's waist. He was extremely protective of her, probably because they were perfect together, and both of them couldn't really comprehend the fact that one day they were going to get married and have little tantrums that Marley or I would end up watching while they did something they 'deserved' for watching after two plus children for a number of years. See I had my whole life worked out. 

"I am honest and logical" Hazel expressed her confusion at the gesture, but there was no way to tell what was the cause of her disappointment. 

"Then I'd really love for you to not be so honest..." Robyn muttered to her. 

"Please don't take my denial of your request as insensitivity. I am not allowed lies, whether they be silent or spoken" she replied, never once breaking eye contact with Robyn. Cael whispered something to Robyn, she nodded, then he kissed her cheek and walked over to me, putting his arm around my shoulders and pulling me with him as he walked away from the group. I knew he was going to tell me that Robyn didn't want her around.

"Sorry about her" I sighed, rubbing the back of my neck. "You can tell her whatever lie you want to stick her with me" I knew he didn't want her around Robyn, the girl was far too sensitive and a little insecure about her relationship with Cael.

"Thanks, Gray. We owe you one" Cael pat my head.

"Yeah, yeah, you still owe me twenty dollars for buying you lunch every single time you forgot your money"