Chapter Thirty : in Cold Blood

/P.O.V. Hazel/

"Remind me again why I am doing this?" I groaned into my headpiece. My eyes ached from the bright computer screen as I searched for as much information on a Thalia Halstrym as I could find. Not too much.

"Because she has no information and should. And you're still suspended from field missions after the report I got from Megan" Riley, like every other person, was able to add an unrelated problem to a conversation.

"Why?! I kissed a girl. Sue me. It's not like I killed someone or told the whole fucking world every secret of the Night School. It's literally just one person putting their lips onto another person's. I didn't get suspended for the whatever over Marley" I have been giving the same response during every single conversation I've had in the past twenty-four hours.

"Hazel. You know that you can't mess with people like this" she sighed.

"But I-"

"It's not about what you think! Hazel, things like this are never about what you think! It's the way she perceives it that matters! She doesn't know you and you don't control her, you can't expect what you did to just vanish because you said so!" She snarled.

"Just drop it, Riley. I'm not in the mood for your crap" I ended the call before she could scold me again. What did I do wrong? I am sure I made it perfectly clear that the kisses I shared with Grace were not out of emotion. If she did not understand that... How do you not understand something so fucking simple?!

"Fucking suspension..." I growled while trying another source. Chinese zodiac database, nothing. Celestial zodiac database, nada. Twelve Olympians database, zilch. Stupid lizard is causing her own desolation. I can't find anything. Hopefully Megan got my firsthand source like I told her to; at least then I'd have some damn information on her. All I know is that she is Scorpio, the Dragon... And Artemis... If memory serves. And she may or may not be in a relationship with either Libra or Leo... Probably Libra. She definitely has had a dramatic history with Pisces, although I don't know the details. And now you know why I have her company coming in. Megan knows a lot of the Irregular community, so arranging for Shia Peirce to visit was fairly easy.

"Hazel Rowan Sinclair! Get your ass down here!" I was almost surprised enough to jump. Not enough, though. Megan doesn't usually throw curses without- great... The story must have reached her.

"Megan Atlas Sinclair! What is it this time?!" I worked my way out of my paper-cluttered room and walked down the stairs into the living room where Megan was giving me a very pissed look while a black haired girl was warming herself up by our oven.

"Libra" she turned at my voice. When she saw me her expression went blank.

"Hazel. Now" Megan grabbed my wrist and pulled me into the first floor's office. "What is wrong with you?!"

"I've heard this before, Megan. Just leave me alone" I tried to leave but she yanked me back by my shoulder. My mind went blank for a moment, just long enough for me to shove her away, knocking her onto the floor.

"Sorry" she hissed under her breath. "You can't do this, Hazel. You are acting like Alexa" she was being soft with me now because she knew I was close to going off. "Hazel, you're doing exactly what she did"

"No. I'm not. She made her play things believe they were important. Grace knows she and I have no connection"

"And this makes Grace your plaything?!" She shouted. "Look, Hazel, you might not want to act like her, you might not even think you're acting like her... But you are. You're going to get used to stealing. She isn't going to let you forever. When that time comes, you're going to start to need more and-" her voice dropped back into a whisper but it hadn't fooled me.