Chapter Thirty-Six : The Old and The New

"Ms. Levison? What are you doing-" I called after walking up to my house, only to be silenced. She made a shooing motion with her hand, gesturing to her phone. I nodded and walked inside to leave her be.

"Grace! You will never guess who I ran into at the store!" My mother squealed the second she noticed me. Immediately after, she nudged a very familiar, but also very changed, brunette-blond towards me.

"Hey, Ace" she was blushing a little, which I did still find cute, but, to all evils, my crush slot was currently taken by the irritating demon who needs no further introduction. "Long time, no see... You got taller" the girl chuckled awkwardly.

"Yeah" I looked her over. There was nothing distinct that made her look more mature, but she had really grown up. She looked like a young woman and not the insecure teen I'd dated. "You look... Great" I also felt a blush coming up.

"You too" we were quiet -my mother giving us the classic peppy mom look, beaming- but eventually she made conversation "you're still gay?" Both of our blushes deepened.

"Mhm. You're still straight?"

"Yeah" and then it was quiet again. For a few seconds before I wondered who the hell must hate me enough to make Hazel appear at these horrible moments. I couldn't see her, but I could feel the turning of my stomach, indicating she was very close.

"Ah! Grace, look, your friend is here! What was your name again, sweetie?" My mom grinned.

"Hazel" yeah, she had to've been standing right on my heels.

"Tatiana" my ex extended a hand. Hazel growled a little in her throat, but it was so quiet I don't think my mom could've heard it. "Aright then" Ana withdrew her hand when Hazel did nothing but try to kill it with a look. One look at me and I saw the thought in Ana's eyes. She knew exactly what was going on. The smirk on her face didn't really leave much to wondering.

"How do you know Grace?" Hazel was oh so obviously struggling to keep her act up, or, at least, refrain from hurting something.

"We dated during sixth grade and almost into seventh" Tatiana explained casually. "And I was your first girlfriend, no?"

"You were"

"Then was... What was that girl's name? The one with the reddish hair"

"Bryn"

"And I remember Dasha. Didn't you also date Carly for some time?" How did the girl know all this? We didn't talk much throughout middle school after the break up.

"Marley. Yeah. She forced me to date her because she thought I would be a good attractive person magnet" I mused.

"Right. She was something special. How is she doing?" Tatiana prodded.

"She actually managed to catch a date. Micha's her name. She is surprisingly amazing for someone dating Marley" the ice between us had broken; I really missed Tatiana. She is just the kind of friend you love being around.

"Really? Hard to imagine her with anyone normal" the adolescent laughed.

"Grace! I found your-wait a second" yet another guest was shoved into the little section of house connected to the stairs, kitchen, music room, and front door. Only this time it was a very confused looking Megan.

"Twins!" My mother cheered. "What's your name?" She smiled broadly at Megan.

"Megan" said ravenette stated awkwardly. "Uh... Hazel, we gotta get back home" she tried to be as subtly hurried as possible.

"We're not expected back for another half hour. Let's stay here" Hazel passed her sister a glare that only showed up to someone who knew her well. Ugh. What does that tell you about the amount of time I spend with that demon?

"Please do" my mother- being the cheery spirit she is- nearly pleaded.

"We're having dinner soon, you're welcome to stay" my dad added to my misery. Hazel smiled uncharacteristically.

"Come on, Ace, let's sit" Tatiana and I made our way to my living room, Hazel sneaking after us. When I sat down on the couch across from my ex, Hazel sat really close to me. Like on top of me. I couldn't say anything because one, I was still trying to ignore her, two, she would probably take it as incentive and start pushing my bubble even more than she already was. Which would probably involve her actually cuddling me. That was not going to happen. Not if I had anything to say about it. There was no way I'd let this aggravatingly hot psychopath add to my already intolerable crush.

"You two are awfully close" Ana tilted her head a little.

"Yes, we are" "No, we are definitely not!" Hazel stated bluntly while I hissed in a whisper. I felt Hazel growl. I actually felt the vibration of her body against me. Not only that, but my denial did cause the younger girl to somehow slip under my arm- no matter how hard I tried to prevent it.

Hazel suddenly smirked.

And kissed me.

Again.

"Hazel! Stop kissing me!" I could barely keep my voice down so my parents wouldn't hear.

"You're not ignoring me" I think the kiss she gave me now was just to rub it in my face. I have had e-freaking-nough of this. I shoved Hazel off me and pulled Tatiana with me down the hall, up the stairs, and into my room.

"Lemme guess. Soulmate and second?" Tatiana scowled.

"How is it that everyone knew about this whole thing way before I did?!" I groaned, apostle insulted that she knew about this and probably herself too, while she was dating me.

"I actually just got the scoop on my fifteenth birthday, give or take a week" and now I feel stupid. "Hazel Sinclair, right?" I nodded "that girl has a hell of a title" I nodded again "you have my sympathy" she pay my shoulder. "I've missed you, Ace. You were an amazing friend. And since my mom is going to be your new teacher, and I should probably tell you that I am transferring to your school... I'd like to make up before I start" she smiled "friends?"

"Of course, Ana" she stepped closer gingerly. "Wha'ch'ya doin'?" I mused before she hugged me tightly.

"You still smell like roses and mint" she laughed when she let me go. I smirked, leaned forward and didn't hide the fact that I was sniffing her.

"Mmm, you still smell like freshly made chocolate chip cookies" I kissed her cheek "I've missed you too, Ana"