Fifty Six

"That's actually not a bad idea at all..." she smirks and gives me a conspiratorial look. Good, she's thinking of something.

"What do you mean?" I furrowed at her.

"The ring is in my bag, I'll go get it and you get an ice mould" I looked at her with a what-the-fuck look "Do as I tell you, I know what I'm doing!" She pushed me to a random part of the kitchen to let her go out to the living room so she could get the ring.

I looked in a cabinet for ice moulds and after three attempts I finally found them.

Penguins. Kaylee has ice moulds of penguins. This woman, I swear.

Lena came back with a small velvet box and handed it to me. I grabbed it and carefully opened it. I scoff in surprise, the words have been taken off my mouth.

"Lena, it's so beautiful, exactly what I wanted. Thank you so much, I really owe you a big one" I hugged her tightly.

"Just make her happy, and I know you do and you will always do" she gave me a soft kiss on my cheek and I hugged her again.

"You're an amazing friend"

"I know. So, we have to hurry before they start wondering what's going on. Pour water in the mould, we're making ice"

"You really want to make ice when there's plenty of it in the bucket?" I pointed at the metal bucket that was in the counter and she gave herself a face palm.

"We are putting the ring in one of the moulds"

"You want to freeze the ring?" I asked, not understanding what was going on.

"Yup, you'll do it or me?" She snatched the mould and velvet box from my hands and she poured water in the mould, then placed the ring in one of the small penguins and finally got it into the freezer.

"You are just something else, Rose" I chuckled.

"Don't call me Rose, Raul" she snapped. "Now, we'll leave the bucket here as an excuse to come back again later and take the ring, okay?" I nodded.

We headed back to the roof garden and acted like everything was normal.

"Why did it take you so long?" Kaylee asked.

"Oh, we had to make more ice, those were the last ones" she nodded at me.

"Can I have your ice?" She asked timidly.

"What?" I looked weird at her.

"Your ice, can I have it?" She looked at my glass of whiskey and I nodded.

"Sure, here you are" I handed her my glass and she grabbed an ice cube with two fingers to then put it into her mouth and started chewing it. How can she do that? "Oh my god, I forgot you love to eat ice" we all laughed at her.

"Remember when your mum told you  that eating ice could decay your teeth just because she hated the sound it makes when you chew it?" Lena said.

"Oh my god, yeah, I remember" we all burst into laughter again. Yeah, I remember Ella always saying 'Diane, don't do that you can get caries'  but she never gave a fuck and still did it anyways.