Six

"Mummy" I keep on repeating this to both of my kids.

"When are you gonna stop being so annoying? You've been like this for over an hour" Lena says and she keeps on scrolling through her Instagram feed.

"Until I get one of them to say something" I say frustrated "Come on, it's not that hard. Just say 'Mum', please?" I look at them and they're looking confused at me.

"Why is Cole Sprouse so hot?" Lena complains about his hotness and I roll my eyes.

"Stop stalking him and help me make them say something" I beg looking at her.

"Shh" She says without looking away from her phone. "Oh, daddy" she smirks and I look bad at her.

"Daddy" we look confused at each other and then turn to my kids "Daddy" Kailani repeats with her baby voice. Fuck.

"You've got to be kidding me!" I yell "Why doesn't she say what I want her to say but what you say?" I yell annoyed and Kailani laughs. I turn to look at Lena who's holding her laughter "I hate you" I tell her and she now bursts into laughter.

"Daddy" Kailani repeats happily. I bring my hand to my face and place two finger on the bridge of my nose and let go a frustrated sigh. I don't care that she said what Lena said, but why specifically that word?

"No hun, it's 'Mummy'" I say slowly.

"Daddy" Kailani smiles at me and I roll my eyes.

"This isn't the reaction I was expecting from you. Come on, she just said her first word, you have to be happy" Lena says, finally putting down her phone.

"And I am, but I don't like the fact that that was her first word" I make a face.

"Well, let's make Dylan say 'Mummy'" Lena stands up from her seat and walks to where Dylan is.

We spent the whole afternoon trying to make them say 'mum' or 'mummy', we didn't have the success I expected. Dylan didn't say anything but Kailani kept on repeating 'daddy'.

[...]

"Do I really have to do this?" I ask to Lena while she pours some coffee in a cup.

"Yes, you do" she raises an eyebrow annoyed. It's the fifth time I ask that in the past three minutes.

"But I can't do it" I make a pout. I feel a knot forming in my throat. I'm not strong enough to do this.

"Go before I pull out your eyes" she says and pushes me out of the kitchen to the entrance.

"Bye, Auntie Lena" Dylan says cheerfully.

"We'll miss you" Kailani adds.

"I will miss you too, have fun on your first day. It's gonna be great!" she kisses their cheeks and then they walk to me.

"Come on, babies" I grab their hands and we walk together to my car.

I help them sit on their car seats and put on their belt.

Ten minutes later and I'm parking in front of their kindergarten.

"Are you guys ready?" I hunker down to look better at them. Are you ready, mamas? My subconscious asks me and I frantically shake my head at her.

"Yes" Dylan says a little excited  but scared at the same time "I don't know"

"No" Kailani makes a pout.

"Come on hun, it's going to be fun" I try to cheer her up. I bring my hand to her cheek and softly caress it.

"But you're not going to be here" her bottom lip starts shaking. Oh shit, not crying. I can't deal with her crying right now.