Nine

"Happy birthday!" I yell coming into my kids' bedroom and waking them up.

"Hey mummy" Kailani says  while rubbing her eyes.

"How does it feel to be six?" Lena asks excited.

"As cool as it feels to be five, but a little better, you know?" Dylan stells me. 

"Let's go eat breakfast and then get ready for your party" I say and we all walk to the kitchen.

I make them special pancakes, which are only normal pancakes but I let them put them some extra Nutella.

When they finish their food, they go to take a shower while I clean the kitchen.

"So, have they said anything about Shawn?" Lena asks. She leans on the counter and looks at me as I'm washing the dishes. I tense and turn to look at her.

"Don't speak too loud" I whispered-yelled "Not for an entire week, so I think we're good for now" I shrug.

"You knew they were going to ask for him at some point, right?" Her voice sounds  compassionate and sad. Empathic even.

"Yeah, I did" I let go a long sigh. I turn to keep washing the few plates that are still dirty  "I just didn't expect them to start asking so soon" a hot tear runs down my cheek and I clean it immediately. I don't care about him any more, he shouldn't be hutning me, why the hell do I still cry? Maybe I do careafter all...

"Hey, don't cry. I'm sorry I brought that up" she gets closer to me and strokes my back. I shake my head.

"Don't worry, it's not your fault that he ended up being a total asshole. You know? What hurts me the most is that I knew him since I was five, I thought I knew him well but apparently I didn't. I never imagined he could have the guts to do that to me, to his newborn children. Lena they were five fucking hours old when he left! What kind of bastard does that to his kids? It's so weird though, he seemed so excited the whole time while I was pregnant, he was always there, he seemed like he genuinely wanted to be a dad. Well, apart from singer and songwriter he ended up being an actor as well" I yell at her. Shit, she's not guilty of anything. "I-I'm sorry" I sniff "It's not your fault" I finish washing and head to my room, leaving her alone in the kitchen without letting her tell me anything else about him.

Kailani decided to dress as Moana. I find it cute cause she feels like her because she loves the beach, she's brunette and ever since I told her that her name is Hawaiian she won't stop talking about that movie.

On the other side, Dylan decided to dress as Batman, because he says he's "cool" and he can go out at night.

When cake time comes, I notice Kailani was making a pout, again. She's been doing that for the last week and I don't know what else to do.

"Hey, darling" I say getting closer to her "what's wrong?" I caress her back. She only shrugs "Aren't you having fun?"

"Yeah, I am" she says looking down to her knotted fingers.

"Then why is that face for?" I stroke her cheek with my finger.

"Because I didn't get the only thing I really wanted" she says as her bottom lip starts to shake. Oh no.

"And what is it?" I frown my brows, even though I already know her answer.

"To see my dad" a tear rolls down her cheek and I clean it immediately.

"Come on hun, we'll talk about it later, but now go and have some fun, okay? You can't be sad today, it's your birthday, plus you are Moana" I poke her cheeks playfully and she giggles. Success. "Go, no more sad faces nor pouts, okay?" I kiss her cheek on the spot where I stopped her tear a few seconds before.