Chapter 16

"woahh be careful!" i said sharply. my body shot forward to catch the wheelchair. daniel laughed softly. "baby this isn't a racetrack you have to be careful" i laughed and watched as daniel looked up to me with a smirk on his face and guilt in his eyes. "sorry mom.." daniel slurred. he looked down to his hands and softly laughed. i flicked the back of his head and continued forward to the car. "still a little loopy from the drugs huh?" corbyn widened his eyes as he watched daniel play with his jogger strings. "just a bit" i said sarcastically.

   i watched nervously as the nurse helped daniel out of his wheelchair and into the car. "how long will he have to be in that thing?" jack asked irritably. he hated seeing daniel in pain.
"as long as he is taking his meds regularly, he should be back on his feet in the next few days" the nurse said with reassurance. 
    "he'll be okay bud" i said softly. my eyes met jack's. they were bloodshot from crying. he smiled faintly and looked back to daniel. my eyebrows furrowed with worry. i then looked to jonah, he had only spoken a few words since the incident. he held his casted hand softly, punching the doctor had broke all of his knuckles and his wrist. the doctor left the scene with a broken jaw and a black eye. thankfully he hadn't pressed charges.

i watched as the nurse carefully folded the wheelchair and put it in the trunk. jonah climbed into the front seat and corbyn quickly offered to take his place. jonah looked to his cast and nodded, heading to the backseat. corbyn smiled softly and climbed into the front seat. i made sure daniel was buckled and secure before getting in the passengers seat.
      chills ran down my spine as corbyn laid his hand on my shoulder. "everything's going to be okay" he whispered under his breath. i smiled softly and laid my hand on top of his.

we were all still shaken from what happened, even though it had been nearly 2 weeks. i couldn't wrap my head around the fact that daniel's heart stopped beating. i swallowed hard to avoid crying. everything still felt surreal, like i was trapped in a never ending nightmare.

     as corbyn drove home, i looked down at my lap and opened my hands. my palms were scarred with 5 little gashes in a row. i had found a new way to channel my anger and sadness. the sharp piercing into my skin was the only thing that gave me relief.

better than punching a wall i guess.