my eyes jolted open when i heard pacing in the living room. daniel's arms had left my side. "daniel?!" my voice cracked. i jumped to the floor and opened the door carefully. daniel was sitting at the island. his hand cupped his stomach. the other held a damp wash cloth to his head. "baby?" i asked holding my hand up. the fluorescent lights burned my eyes. "what's wrong?" i asked feeling his forehead. "you're burning up!"

i took the washcloth and soaked it in ice cold water. "what's going on?" corbyn walked sleepily into the room rubbing his eyes. "daniel?" he yelled and ran over to him. his eyes scanned him as daniel hunched over. "come here" i said softly and held him in my arms. he quietly yelped and struggled to hold back his tears. corbyn left the room and quickly came back with all of the boys following him. they all scrambled over to him and tried to scan him. i quickly shushed them as daniel started to fall asleep in my arms. i slowly moved to the couch and felt him wrap his arms and legs around me. his head rested on my chest.

i moved my hand softly across his back and watched the boys pace back and forth. "what's wrong?!" jack whispered. i shrugged and leaned my head on daniel. my fingers massaged his soft cheek. jonah ran his fingers though his hair and re wet the washcloth. then brought it over and handed it to me. i carefully set it on his forehead. "thank you" i whispered. smiling at him. he nodded his head and gave a weak smile. zach and jack were on their phones looking up symptoms. corbyn was shaking his head. refusing to believe anything.

the small clock on the side table read 3:15am. "you guys can go back to sleep now" i whispered and smiled weakly. "no. we all vowed to stay together no matter what. we have to be here for him" jack frowned and looked at daniel. i smiled and nodded my head. for hours and hours we sat and talked while my hand interlocked with daniel's. i could feel him wince in his sleep.

the clock finally hit 5 am. daniel started to move a little. his eyes fluttered open and looked up to me. i smiled and held him tight. "thank you" he finally got out. he winced as he got up. then stretched and re wet the washcloth. then kept it on his forehead. the boys all stared at him with heavy eyes. i went over to the phone and called the lobby.

"hey. yes i would like a thermometer
please"

"coming your way!"

"thank you"

i hung up and looked to daniel. his fiery blue eyes burned brightly through the dim room.

"delivery!" a small voice called from the other side of our door. i ran to the door and took the small tool. "thank you" i said quickly taking the thermometer then shut the door. my feet hit the floor as i hurried to daniel. he slowly put the thermometer in his mouth and waited. we were all rattled by a rapid beeping. i took it out of his mouth and gasped. "104.5?!" i yelped. "WE HAVE TO GET YOU TO THE HOSPITAL NOW!!!"

i grabbed my phone and watched as the boys scrambled up. tears started to fill my eyes. i grabbed daniel's hand and lead him down the stairs. the lights were dim and no one was awake but a few hotel clerks. "call 911!!" i yelled at the top of my lungs. "his temp is almost 105 we need help!!" i screeched and held daniel close. who was slowly drifting to sleep. we all paced as we waited.

my heart dropped as soon as i heard the sirens. the huge vehicle pulled up out front. people poured out with equipment. two people rolled out a gurney and ran towards us. "ok mam we are going to get him in here and secure him. then we'll take him to hospital asap!" he said loudly. we all watched confused as they took him away. "i have to go with him!!" i screeched and ran towards the car. "mam you have to stay here!!!" he yelled.

"lauren?" daniel's head lifted up. "lauren!" his voice was soft and raspy. he held out his hand and reached for me but they pulled him away. two police officers held me back. "you don't understand!! i can't lose him again!!" i screamed as tears poured down my cheeks. "lauren!" daniel was crying with his hand held out. i reached my hand out and watched as they lifted him into the back of the truck. i fell to my knees and watched as they loaded up the truck.

this can't be the end.

i took a deep breath and pulled away with all of my might. the cops hands pulled my skin back but i managed to get away.

i leaped up to the back of the truck where he was. "daniel!" i yelled and cupped his cheek. "it's going to be ok baby" my tears dropped onto his cheek. i wiped them off and watched as the boys were put into cop cars to be transported to the hospital. one of the paramedics jumped inside and grabbed equipment from the walls as the other closed the back doors and jumped into the drivers seat. the sirens blared in my ears.

Daniel's face was pale and blank. he winced and tried to hold his stomach but couldn't move free from the straps that held him down. we sped off to the hospital as the paramedic felt his throat, head, then stomach. his fingers traced where daniel had been hurting. a gasp left his mouth. "what is it?!" i yelped. he didn't answer.

we finally reached the hospital after what seemed years. daniel was getting worse after every second that went by. i looked out the window and saw the car that was holding the boys. they pushed their way through the cops to try and reach daniel.

we were stopped at the emergency part of the building. the paramedics pulled him out and ran as fast as they could inside. but i was too slow. i watched as they wheeled him off. he cried and yelped as the pain increased.