Greening the Cube

As the Paladins were floating outside the castle to repair the castle after battle, I was in the room Allura had showed me. I had been reading all of the books in the room, non-stop. I got so invested into the books, that I never heard alarms blaring for a battle, and Keith never left without me, therefore they couldn't form Voltron. I could tell everyone was getting upset, but I couldn't help that I want to learn more about my Father's culture.

Allura came into the room one Varga after the Paladins went out to fix the castle. I didn't notice until she said something, scaring me.

"You know," I jumped, "We miss seeing you around the castle."

"I'm sorry, Allura, I just want to know everything about my father's culture. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to learn about it just because of him, I've wanted to learn about the Altean culture since the day we found you and Coran here. I've always found the alchemy fascinating as well, like, being able to perform magic that isn't fake? And the technology! It's just so... incredible!" I rambled about the interesting facts of Altean culture. "Oh, I'm sorry, I was rambling."

Allura giggled and said, "It's okay. I love knowing the fact that you want to know more about Altean culture, but Coran and I can always tell you more than these books can. And I'm positive that I'd be able to find some photos of Altea!"

"That would be wonderful!" I exclaimed happily.

"Guys! Check this out!" We heard Pidge's voice over the castle intercom.

"Come with me, you should know about what's going on in the castle as well," Allura said. I hesitated. "You can come back later."

With that said, I stood up from my position sitting on the floor and followed Allura to the green lion's hangar.

"Oh- I've seen this experiment! But question: why do we need to get electricity from a potato?" I heard Hunk say as soon as Allura and I walked into the hangar. I saw Keith leaning on some boxes and walked next to him to stand beside him. We both crossed our arms and I secretly and discreetly held Keith's hand.

"What? No, no. I was able to crack the 'sporse code.'" Pidge said. "I ran the bioluminescent pattern through a series of code-breaking sequences, including this homemade virtual Turing machine. Of course I had to make a few tweaks to the original design because, obviously, there have been several advances since he designed it. Although you have to admit, Turing was a shining light in the world of science- in an age where far too many were still—"

"Pidge! What does it say?" Keith interrupted Pidge.

"Oh! Yeah! Under attack! Galra. Help. And then there are coordinates," Pidge said.

"It's a distress signal. Good work, Pidge," Shiro said. "Get those coordinates into the castle-ship's navigation system. And Y/N, please don't go back to reading, we're going to need you," Shiro instructed, looking back at me and Keith.

I quickly let go of Keith's hand before Shiro could see we were holding hands, but he saw my hand moving and smiled a little. "Okay, Shiro, I won't go back to reading," I muttered.

We made our way to the ship's main deck. Keith Shiro and I were the last to leave the hangar. Shiro turned to Keith and I and smiled. Not one of his kind, brotherly smiles, more like his "I-think-I-know-What's-going-on-here" smiles.

"Has everyone's ship finally sailed?" Shiro asked

"What?" I asked taken aback by what he said.

Shiro gave me the "You-Know-What-I-Mean" look.

"Shiro, why are you asking this all of a sudden?" Keith asked.