"Sir Loganel," the girl addressed him. "I've heard that you have participated in many acts of heroics outside the city. Would you mind telling some of those stories to a poor girl like me that is imprisoned in the city?"

Loganel frowned upon seeing this gesture from this young woman that is obviously seeking to use him. He knew immediately that all she wanted was to sleep with him and force him to take responsibility by wedding her. That way, Loganel, the brother in law of the next king, would be bound by responsibility to her family. Loganel disliked political relationships, disliked the father who would use his daughter for political gain, and he disliked the daughter that is willing to go through with such a thing.

But...isn't that my relationship with Mistivera? Loganel sighed and looked over at his fiancee. Her relationship with mine is entirely political. It is all to save her kind. She is even willing to sacrifice her body and have a child with me for a future heir. This dedication...it's the same for both her and this girl clinging onto me. Then...although it's not genuine, the motive is still... noble. Then, there's really no difference between us and them.

But... Loganel thought to himself. I want there to be a difference. 

"I'm sorry Miss," Loganel immediately retracted his arm from the girl's hug. "I am rather devoted to my fiancee here." To demonstrate, Loganel stepped over to Mistivera and brought his arm around Mistivera's body and holding her close to him.

"She doesn't seem to mind," Sara said with a frown on her face.

"She's not the type to express her emotions outward," Loganel quickly explained. "So I'm sorry."

Then, Loganel quickly escaped the scene and ushered Mistivera away with him. She didn't say anything, nor did it seem as if she cared at all. On her face was simply a fake smile, but Loganel knew that she must be feeling bored underneath it all. This wedding and life living with him in general is simply a task for her, a job that she finds no enjoyment in. It's merely an obligation on her end that she has to fulfill. This base of their relationship...it is what prevents anything else from developing.

With a frown, Loganel gently released Mistivera.

"Sorry," he apologized.

Mistivera didn't say anything nor did she look over at him. Instead, she continued to stand there in her elegant and cold manner, holding her wine glass in a noble manner. As if a bored goddess, the slight crease in her brow seemed to attract the gaze of every man in the room.

She...wouldn't look at me, Loganel sighed and frowned. Is it because of this occasion and my face? She should've been married to 'him'—the original Loganel that they know as Iliad. She shouldn't be standing here with me...

"Why the frown on both your faces?" a familiar voice dragged Loganel out of his momentary state of depression. Looking over, Loganel saw that the voice belonged to Prince Adol. Dressed in the formal wedding attire of the kingdom, the prince walked over with a smile. Behind him was another woman dressed in the royal garb, the other wife of Adol. "Are you not happy on your sister's wedding day?"

"No," Loganel quickly forced a smile. "It's just that we just got ourselves out of...a confrontation."

"Confrontation?" Adol frowned.

"A man," Loganel started explaining, "he tried to introduce his daughter to me."

"Oh!" A smile appeared on Adol's face. "That's to be expected. You are my brother-in-law now. To those nobles without much wealth and power, you're like fresh meat before a pack of hungry wolves."

"That's a...rather strange comparison," Loganel laughed in an awkward manner.

"Sorry if that was a bit weird," Adol smiled in an embarrassed manner and said. "I don't have much experience talking with someone around my age."

"No worries," Loganel smiled in return. "So how's the preparation going?"

"All set," Adol nodded his head and surveyed the ballroom. Loganel did the same as well and noticed plenty of glances tossed in their direction. "Everything's ready. How are you and Mistivera doing?"

"We're doing fine," Loganel glanced over at Mistivera and said.

"Hmm..." Adol stared at Loganel's face and then glanced over at Mistivera's. "I've been thinking, and this may sound rude but I mean no offense, but your relationship with your fiancee is rather...bland?"

"Huh?" Loganel looked over at the prince with a look of suppressed shock. "W-what would make you think that?"

"The two of you seem rather distant," Adol observed. "Like...you don't really love each other. It's almost like one of those political marriages." Upon finishing, Adol glanced over at the young woman standing next to him who met his eye with a look that was deprived of any affectionate emotion.

"Of course not," Mistivera started speaking. "I am not from a family of nobles and have no family in Astra. Why would I seek a political marriage? What have I to gain? Money? I can support myself on my own."

"I'm not doubting your abilities nor your relationship with Loganel," Adol quickly explained himself. "It's just...the two of you seem rather reserved and distant when next to each other."

That's cause our relationship is a political marriage, Loganel thought behind that mask of a smile he had on. And it's a relationship that will never advance past that stage. Political marriages...as long as the political part is attached, it will never become a genuine marriage. Real affection and love will never develop in such a relationship. It will always be a give-and-take system with no real emotion to speak of.

"Well," Adol then said. "It's been nice speaking to you. I hope you enjoy yourselves."

With that, the prince left along with his wife that he had wed in a political marriage, leaving Loganel standing next to Mistivera with a wavering mind.

Author's Note:

Since it's been a while since I last wrote this book, not counting Chapter 67, it will take a while for me to get back with the flow of the story. So if they story feel a bit chunky, that is why.

Please vote and comment.