Chapter 15

Tetsuya walked down the illuminated hallway of the Church, waiting as Loganel was being bandaged up by the nurses. Since it was nighttime, the Church was empty except for the clergy and healers that had taken up residence in this large building, and because of this Tetsuya could clearly feel that deep feeling of sorrow swallowed his heart, knowing that Loganel would never be the same again. Tetsuya believed that the blame was on him. He believed that if he had not been so arrogant in regards to the overall abilities of his party, if he had not relied on Loganel to be the main fighting force, and if he was stronger, none of this would've happened.

Therefore, with this heavy burden of guilt on his mind, his shoulders and heads droop low as he walked back and forth in the hall. He could not bring himself to confront Loganel and apologize directly. He was plagued with the fear of the what ifs. What if Loganel does not forgive him? What if Loganel is shattered right then and there? These fears prompted him to avoid the surgery room that Loganel was in and patrol the hallway in front of it.

Tetsuya could hear footsteps approaching from behind him, and he immediately turned around to face whoever it was. He discovered that it was the doctor that had diagnosed Loganel, a renowned priest for his surgical abilities.

"That look of despair isn't fit for a the Summoned Hero," the priest smiled as he greeted Tetsuya.

"I don't know if I can even force a smile right now," Tetsuya stared at the ground as he replied. "What happened was because of me. It's all my fault."

"You can't keep dwelling on the past."

The priest placed his hand on Tetsuya's shoulder. Tetsuya glanced over at that hand on his shoulder, and he immediately had a flashback to a few minutes earlier, in the surgery room when this very hand had amputated Loganel's left arm. The thought of that very hand making contact with him made Tetsuya quite afraid, but he concealed it within him.

"By the way," the priest suddenly leaned closer so that he was whispering into Tetsuya's ear. "I can sense something's amiss with your friend. He doesn't feel normal."

"I—"

"That is the boy that Paladin Grant had confronted at the bottom of the hill is it not? I can sense something unholy about that boy."

"Don't try anything," Tetsuya glared at the priest. "That guy is my dear friend so don't even try it."

The priest backed off. "I understand, sir. But," the priest paused and peeked at Tetsuya's face to read his facial expression. "I hope you did not forget your duties. It is your job, and the entirety of the Church, to exterminate all Demons from this world."

"I know," Tetsuya responded. "I will not forget my duties."

"So if your friend is a confirmed Demon...?"

"I'll slay him myself," Tetsuya unwillingly answered.

"That is all that we ask for."

The priest smiled and continued down the empty hallway. His footsteps echoed as the sound bounced off of the wide hallway and off the tall ceiling. Tetsuya, now standing alone in the hallway once again, clenched his hands tightly into a fist as he gazed at the ground.

***

After Tetsuya said his farewells to Loganel with deep repent in his voice and left the Church, it was already midnight. Loganel stayed that night in the Church under the extensive care of the nurses. However, even with the most attentive medical care, the pain would not cease to torment him. The phantom pain of his severed limb lingered about like a ghost, unwilling to leave and let Loganel alone for a second of peace. The pain rendered it impossible for him to sleep, and yet the deep fatigue that his body felt desperately needed rest.