Chapter 60

Loganel's facial expression was grim when the wagon finally returned into the safety of the city walls of Astalan. Life here went on as normal with the occasional murmurs about news of whatever that had occurred in Rostindel by those that resided in the city. Loganel believed the news must've spread to this city through a magic spell of sort. However, that wasn't concerning to him as he was tormented by other issues.

There was nothing he could do to save Zaran. Throughout the journey back to Astalan, Loganel was drowned in guilt, knowing that the Vampire was right there in that concealed cage, but he could do nothing about the situation. Loganel understood the fact that with only himself, he's unable to defeat the group of elite Paladins. In addition, if he were to dare the rescue, he will be labeled a traitor of humanity. Therefore, he didn't do anything. Because of his weakness, he was unable to do anything. Therefore, he hated himself for it.

Loganel couldn't smile when he received his portion of the rewards for the quest. The others seemed to be affected by what they had saw occur in Rostindel for their joy was more of a relief than anything else. However, joy was joy, and that was that. For Loganel, he didn't feel a single ounce of joy. Rather, his mind was troubled by the thought that Zaran was being taken away, and probably going to be used as a gift for Baron Stelis during the Stelis Banquet.

What a coincidence... he thought to himself as he returned back to his dorms with a bitter expression on his face.

Slowly, Loganel walked up the stairs of the dorm building to his room. As he walked, he was shielded from the frosty winter winds, but for some reason, his heart felt cold, almost as if the warmth had been sucked out of his body, leaving his heart an organ of ice. The helplessness that he felt, knowing that Zaran was so close and yet just out of his reach, made Loganel despise himself every second that he lived. He hated his weakness, leading him to question how he would even be able to accomplish the daunting task of securing peace between humanity and Demons.

It's impossible, Loganel thought as he stopped by the door to his dorm suite.

With a frown on his face, he reached for the door handle and opened the door. Then, he entered, and to his surprise, there was a small fire crackling in the fireplace. In addition, the living room was illuminated. Loganel looked about this odd scene in his house, taking in the warmth that was in the air of the living room as he entered.

Did Mistivera did this? he asked himself, perplexed as to why since the cold and darkness didn't seem to bother her in the slightest.

"Welcome back," Mistivera said in the familiar authoritative voice as she emerged from her room. She walked into the living room with her arms crossed before her chest, and on her face was no warm smile for a greeting. Rather, it was the same stern expression that seemed to have a hint of sadness mixed within it.

In response to her cold greeting, Loganel merely nodded. He didn't know what to say, and he wasn't in the mood to strike up an awkward conversation. Therefore, he simply kept quiet as he removed himself of his heavy winter coat and started for his bedroom.

"Your sister stopped by a few days ago," Mistivera said as she leaned against the wall. "Saying that when you return, the three of you should have a dinner together."

"Did she ask for you to go?" Loganel asked as he started changing in his bedroom into the more comfortable in door clothing. He kept the door opened so that Mistivera's voice could be heard clearly, knowing that he had no fear of Mistivera trying to sneak a peek.

"Yeah," Mistivera answered.

Loganel then reemerged into the living room, keeping his head low from the heavy guilt in his chest that weighed him down. On the wooden floor, Loganel saw his cat, Mazriel slowly approaching him, rubbing his head on his legs. Without a smile, Loganel knelt down and gently stroked the cat's fur, drawing a long continuous purr from the feline.

"You're not going to ask me about Rostindel?" Loganel asked without looking over at Mistivera.

"I know already," Mistivera said. "You decided to choose the Vampires."

Loganel nodded his head.

"Do you think you made the right choice?"

Loganel shook his head in response.

"I... I saw him," Loganel then said. "Zaran, the Vampire that was caught by the Paladins... He was in a cage that came back with us to Astalan. The Paladins said he was going to be used as a gift for Baron Stelis during the Stelis Banquet."

"Right..." Mistivera sighed. "Smart of you to not try anything."

"I'm not stupid," Loganel sighed. "If I were to be impulsive, I would blow my cover as well as risk dying."

"It's good to be able to survey the situation and make the right decision," Mistivera nodded.

"Right decision..." Loganel sighed. "Did I really make the right decision in Rostindel?"

"There's no right or wrong in that case," Mistivera said in a steady and guiding voice. "Those are choices that you must make in your path to become the Demon King."

"But..." Loganel sighed as he rose to his full height and walked over to the couch before slumping down on it. "I'm a bit too weak to become a Demon King."

"That's why you must become more powerful," Mistivera said.

"How?"

"There's always potential in everyone," Mistivera said as she walked over to the couch adjacent to the one Lohanel was sitting on and took a seat. Then, she crossed her legs. "You just have to discover it and build on it."

"Potential..." Loganel sighed and lowered his head.

"What're your plans for the future?" Mistivera then asked.

"I don't know," Loganel shook his head in response. His eyes were murky as he looked up, unable to see a clear picture in the future and feeling a great sense of uncertainty. "Live life as it comes, I guess. Do what the party plans, do what you say, and... do what life says."

Mistivera sighed. "Not going to decide for yourself?" Her voice seemed to be laced with disappointment.

"I don't know anymore... I don't see anything in the future."

"If that's the case," Mistivera sighed once again. "So be it."

"Well..." Loganel said as he leaned back and rested his body against the backrest of the couch and gazed up at the ceiling. "My parents will be visiting in spring, and there's the Stelis Banquet as well..."

"I wouldn't advise you to try anything during the Banquet," Mistivera said in her cold voice. "There will be plenty of Knights and Church powers there. Trying anything would mean certain death."

"I know," Loganel sighed once again and closed his eyes. 

In his mind, he felt a great fatigue that he believed must've resulted from this trip to Rostindel. It has been a series of stressful days for him, and he sensed that the future must be just as stressful and dark. At that moment, he really yearned for someone who could help him dispel such worries, someone who can provide him with warmth and companionship. Someone like Juliana, Iry, or Azura...

Author's Note:

So last chapter a reader called this story dumb, saying why couldn't Loganel just defeat all the Paladins and save Zaran then and there. Let me ask this. In what world, are Paladins someone you can just randomly defeat? Like do you expect Loganel just to kill the group of Paladins as well as his own party members? Because if he doesn't he'll be a traitor to humanity and his whole life will be fucked. Like have some common sense. It's annoying to me how irrational certain people can be, like they just want a fuck-all op main character and ignore any logic.