Chapter 43

The walk back to their place of residence was conducted in silence. The streets of the city had started to quiet down as the night deepened, and it was just the two of them. Loganel would occasionally sneak quick glances over at Mistivera, but he would never truly speak up on anything. He didn't know how to approach the topic he was considering and he was afraid to do so. It was frightening for him to attempt to speak with her out of fear of making the situation even more awkward.

With a sigh, Loganel looked up at the nighttime sky above, gazing at the stars and the bright moon overhead. With the natural illumination provided by the moonlight and the bright Mana street lights, the road was brightly lit. However, Loganel still felt as if he walked in the dark abyss, alone and with no aid. He was beginning to get used to such long walks in silence, and that frightened him.

"Is something the matter?" Mistivera finally initiated the conversation between the two. This time, however, she looked over her shoulders and into Loganel's troubled eyes.

Upon noticing this gesture from her, Loganel felt relieved, almost as if a large boulder has been lifted from his chest and he could finally breathe for the first time in ages. Therefore, with Mistivera doing her part, Loganel decided that he would take a step and express his concerns with her.

"Mistivera," he said, rubbing the back of his head with one hand out of nervousness. "I don't know if you already know, but... you remember the two girls that came to visit us the other day? Well... they ugh... they're parents wanted to marry them off in spring to people they've never met before."

Loganel paused and observed Mistivera to check her reaction. However, instead of reacting, she merely continued walking and listened attentively to what Loganel had to say.

"So um..." Loganel started speaking once again. "Tetsuya and I want to help them. That's why we ugh... we made a deal to each earn the spot for the marriage and see what we could do from there."

"I know what you want to ask me," Mistivera, understanding Loganel's concerns, almost immediately lifted much of the burden and awkwardness off of Loganel. "I'm fine with it."

"Y-you are?" Loganel asked, surprised. "You're fine with multiple wives?"

"Of course," she said without much expression on her part. "Our relationship isn't a romantic one, but rather one of symbiosis. Therefore, who you choose to marry after me: I do not care. All that matters is you acquire the right to become the heir of the Demon throne."

"Right..." Loganel responded. He was happy, but still somewhat sad at her response. He didn't know why, but maybe it was when Mistivera made it seem as if their relationship will always remain like what it was at the moment.

"It's quite common in the line of Demon Kings to have multiple wives," she said, "and even in humans, although it is quite rare, but having multiple wives are acceptable. But the real question is: how will this help the two girls?"

"Hm?" Loganel lifted his head and looked over at her in surprise. What Mistivera had said was something that he had never thought of before. All that time him and Tetsuya had planned this approach to help Azura and Iry, neither of them actually considered if this was the right choice for the girls.

"Don't tell me you two never thought of that before?" Mistivera let out a frustrated sigh. "You two have to consider if what you are doing will truly help them in the long run."

She's right, Loganel thought to himself as he walked. We've never truly thought about the situation for Azura and Iry. It's always been from our perspective. We're too focused on how unhappy they might be but forgot to consider if they will be happy. What if they are happy after marriage? They will be in a life of luxury and peace, and what if it's Tetsuya and I that ruined it for them?