Chapter 61

Winter slowly went and passed with the weather slowly warming as the winter season slowly died to make way for the young spring. The snow defrosted on the ground, allowing the world of white to slowly fade away to expose the young buds of green that was underneath. Birds returned to the city of Astalan, chirping loudly on the trees whose leaves slowly grew from the naked branches. Nature itself slowly woke from its long slumber, making its way for what would appear to be a beautiful season of spring.

Loganel walked down the brick road and back to his dorm room, walking past the many other Academy students who were outside now that the weather was no longer unbearably cold. Among them he witnessed many couples and public displays of affection, making him once again curse the existence of those people.

He continued to make his way to the special dorms where the nobility and sons and daughters of wealthy merchants lived, and as the special dorm building came into view, Loganel saw the other students who resided in the same dorm as him were making quite a bit of commotion, with some leaving with their servants or simply just moving plenty of new furniture into the dorm rooms. Loganel did not have access to such luxuries such as servants or new furniture for his only servant, Julianas, had suffered from a curse that dispersed her soul to protect him and still lay motionlessly in the sick rooms of the Church building. Loganel has wanted to visit, but because of his new identity as a Demon, he could not. As for new furniture, because his family wasn't the wealthiest of all nobles and were based on the frontier, it was difficult for money to flow to him from his parents.

Loganel slowly made his way past the crowd of other students, many of which were sons and daughters of barons, generals, or other government officials. Ever since his return to Astalan last winter and had received the title of Vampire Slayer along with his other party members, their attitude towards him changed ever so slightly. Before, thy would mock him for his status when compared to theirs, but ever since his return, he was given a decent amount of respect by the others and would occasionally be greeted with a "Hello".

With each step he took up the stairs, Loganel reminded himself of his failure at saving Zaran and preventing that massacre in Rostindel. News of the event that had occurred finally settled as actual facts began rolling in to the public spotlight. Apparently, the numerous Vampires had attacked the Church and the Paladins and soldiers stationed there, causing plenty of casualties. However, the end result also included the complete obliteration of Vamir and the extermination of the Vampire population in Rostindel due to the brilliance of a select few of the Paladins. This doesn't mean that the Vampires were all dead though, because according to Mistivera, Loganel learned that those Vampires were mostly still alive and were mobilizing to a different area in search of a place to settle down.

Loganel felt great regret in his inabilities, so he had devoted himself into the improvement of his own arsenal over the time from winter to spring. He trained extensively not only with his mentor and mother-like figure in Avelin, he also studied profusely the different magics and trying to incorporate that into his combat style. Loganel had also wanted to upgrade his equipment, but ever since that store owned by the two elven twins, Merian and Meriath, had forbidden him from returning, he had no choice but to allow his equipment to remain stagnant as he did not trust in the works of any other blacksmith or armor craftsman.

Loganel stopped by the door to his dorm suite, unlocked it, and entered. Inside, he was immediately greeted by a fire in the fireplace as well as his cat Mazriel. Sitting on the couch was his fiancée, a half Succubus and half Devil girl and the daughter of the former Demon King.

"I'm home," Loganel whispered, hoping for a warm welcome from her.

"Oh," Mistivera simply responded.

Loganel then sighed as he had anticipated this cold response from her. As he removed his coat and boots, he thought about why their relationship had remained stagnant. He thought that the problem might be himself. In addition to his weakness, he also resembled Mistivera's deceased lover, the original spirit of Loganel who was referred to in the Demon world as Iliad. Loganel believed that it must've been this resemblance that led to Mistivera occasionally staring at him with great sadness in his eyes, and when Loganel would confront her and speak with her, she would always respond in a cold manner like a prickly rose.

"Have you ate yet?" Loganel asked. He had always been curious about how Mistivera truly acquired energy. Since she's half Succubus, Loganel originally thought that she might have to engage in sexual activities with males but apparently that wasn't true. Although it would work, Mistivera had told Loganel that she had never done anything like that. Therefore, Loganel reasoned it must've been through eating like every creature in the world.

"Yeah," Mistivera responded.

"I'll just make myself something then," Loganel sighed as he approached the pantries and Mana powered refrigerator for food. "Mistivera," he then said.

"What is it?"

"Don't you think we um... need to be a bit closer in our relationship?" Loganel asked after gathering his courage. "We will get married one day."

"It is enough for me to act that way when around others," she sighed. "But do not expect me to actually see you as my husband. The only one I would accept is him."

"I know," Loganel frowned in melancholy.

"Because of this," Mistivera continued. "I don't care if you opt to marry other woman. As long as you and I have a child to be the heir to the throne, then there will be no obligations."

"So it's just a tool," Loganel commented on their relationship.

"Right," Mistivera conformed. "It's just a tool to fulfill his will."

"Right," Loganel nodded.

"..." Mistivera then looked over and stared at the boy with observing eyes. "I suppose you intend to attend the Stelis Banquet?"

"What makes you think that?" Loganel asked.

"The invitation," Mistivera said, looking over at the envelope that was laid out on the coffee table that had the seal of the Flower if Stelis on it. "I supposed that you would try your luck and secure either one of the two as your bride."

"You're right," Loganel chuckled bitterly. "That's the plan I made with Tetsuya a while back."

"So your goals are for each to get one?" Mistivera asked with a raised eyebrow. "And you're willingly to give up the other to him?"

"Well..." Loganel stopped.

"I think you know both girls have feelings for you," Mistivera concluded. "And as a female, I won't forgive you if you so as do anything that hurts them."

"That's quite difficult," Loganel forced smiled in a frustrated and bitter manner. "This world isn't that easy. There's restrictions... I simply don't have the power."

"Is that so," Mistivera sighed as she gazed at Loganel with a look of disappointment on her face.

Then, there came a knock on the door. Loganel mobilized to answer as tradition in their household, and when he opened the door, standing on the other side was his older brother Redgilus. He was bent over with his hands on his knees as he gasped for air and on his face was a look of panic and fury.

"I found that son of a bitch," he said between deep breaths. "That guy that's courting sis."

"R-really?" Loganel sounded quite surprised.

"I've learned from one of Laurina's party members where the two are at the moment," Redgilus said as he reached his hand to Loganel's wrist and dragged him out. "We're gonna go and see if he's a scum or not."

"W-wait!" Loganel tried to object but sighe din defeat. "Let me out on my boots first."

After he finished, Loganel looked over his shoulders at Mistivera, who was smiling in a loving manner towards him which was an act put up by her in the presence of Redgilus.

"I'll make you some food," she said as she waved and saw Loganel off. "So stay safe."

If only this could've been the real her, Loganel sighed as he continued down the hallway with his older brother.

Author's Note:
Please vote and comment. Thank you.