Chapter 23

The sun shined in through the crevices between the curtains and into Azura's bedroom. Azura half-opened her eyes, blinked once, and then proceeded to sit up from her bed. She pulled the warm comforter close to her chest due to the low temperature of the morning, and she looked over to her right.

There, laying on the bed next to her underneath the warmth of the comforter was Iry, the older girl who she had discovered to be her older sister a few days ago. She was close to this girl prior to that incident, but now, the two are even closer.

Azura gently brought a hand to Iry's hair, stroking it with a look of guilt on her face. She believed that it was because of her that things had become like this.

"..."

Iry slowly opened her eyes, revealing those light yellow eyes of hers. She blinked once and stared at Azura and then smiled.

"Good morning," she said.

"Good morning," Azura gently and quietly replied.

Although separate rooms were provided, the two opted to sleep in the same room on the same bed. Iry doesn't feel extremely comfortable sleeping alone in this foreign environment and thus Azura wanted to do her part and make her feel the most relaxed as possible. This resulted in the two sharing a room. However, that does not mean that they were cramped up together. Azura's bedroom was quite large and her bed has more than enough room for the both of them to sleep on comfortably.

Iry sat up as well, and the two then just sat there, shoulder to shoulder, enjoying the warmth of the comforter as they waited for their maids to come and service them for the morning.

"Loganel still hasn't come and visited..." Iry whispered with a concerned expression on her face.

"Right..." Azura responded.

"I hope he's safe."

"He will be," Azura places her hand on top of Iry's. "He's strong."

"Right," Iry smiled, feeling a bit more confident now that Azura has comforted her.

After their maids arrived, the two sisters got dressed with the help of the maids and had their hair brushed and styled by the maids. The two then brushed their teeth, and proceeded to the dining hall. In the large dining hall, with the long table with a white tablecloth draped over it, Iry and Azura was greeted by their birth parents, both of whom Iry had only known for a few days.

"Good morning," their father smiled at them, but he was only able to elicit a cold response from Azura and Iry.

"Good morning," Azura and Iry responded.

"How did you sleep last night, dears," their mother asked.

She was a beautiful woman by the name of Cynthia, and one could tell that Iry and Azura inherited her beauty. Both Azura and Iry had fair skin, with hair color on the lighter side, similar to their mother.

"We slept fine, mother," Azura responded for herself and Iry as the two of them took a seat next to each other.

"Iry," Cynthia gazed into her long missing daughter's eyes. "I hope you're getting used to everything."

"M-mother," Iry stuttered slightly from nervousness and lowered her voice. "I believe I am."

"Then that is good," her mother let out a soft smile. "I can still remember that day when you were just a child of two years of age...We were ambushed by a band of enemy soldiers when we were returning to Astra from a visit to a nearby kingdom. They took you hostage, and even when we tried to seek aid from the King, we were told that the conditions those kidnappers had set were too demanding and absurd. In addition to that, there were no intel on where you were located at. That's why we could never find and rescue you."