Prologue

The setting sun shined down through the gap between the clouds, down onto the world beneath it, bestowing the earth with its warmth. The temperature is cold and the trees have all but lost all of its leaves as winter slowly arrived. The city of Astalan still appeared lively despite the cold weather, its inhabitants almost indifferent to the dip in temperature other than putting on heavier and warmer clothing.

At the front entrance to the city, groups of people reentered the city, walking past the posted guards who merely scanned their appearances and returned to their tasks. Some of these people that're entering the city carried weaponry and were clad in different types of armor. The majority of these are the Adventurers, people who take on miscellaneous missions at the Adventurer's Guild or merely hunted dangerous monsters for their body parts to sell. The others are the students at the Royal Academy.

These students, young and energetic, receive formal training from the various schools offered at the Academy. During their student years, they test their skills by working a similar job to Adventurers, but many do not yearn to become Adventurers once they graduate. To the many nobles attending the school, they yearn to gain prestige and recognition. However, to the commoners, they yearn to acquire positions in the imperial court such as imperial mages or becoming members of the Astra Knights.

A boy trailed behind his party as he followed the back into the city. His long battle coat moved in the air behind him due to the cold wind, which caused him to bury his face into the maroon muffler scarf he had wrapped around his neck, in search of warmth. His name is Loganel Ainzloft, age seventeen.

Before Loganel were his party members. Walking at the very front and talking to a blond elf girl is Kirishima Tetsuya, the Hero summoned by the Church to repel the awakening Demon Army. Within the scabbard that hung on his waist rests the holy blade, Exflage. The girl that he was talking to is Sheriel Yzaldin, a mage that Tetsuya had rescued when he saw her being surrounded by her former party members for almost accidentally killing them. She's pretty clumsy when it comes to her spells but after her hard work and efforts, she has gotten more accurate.

Slowly, Loganel's eyes wandered over to the demihuman boy that walked not too far ahead of him and the girl that he was talking to. The demihuman boy, Kaz Listr, had furry cat ears protruding from the top of his head and he walked and talked with confidence. The girl next to him with long dark blue hair, Marilin Vergesen, chatted with him, laughing occasionally.

Finally, Loganel's eyes shifted over to the girl that walked almost right next to him. Azura Stelis, the daughter of the great Duke Stelis, is a girl that often carries with her an apathetic expression. Her long  snow-white hair complemented her sapphire blue eyes perfectly. It's those sapphire eyes of hers that led to Loganel accidentally caught himself staring at. Those eyes, so clear and pristine, almost seemed to be able to look through all lies in this world.

"Good work today, everyone," Tetsuya smiled after he exited the Adventurer's Guild, holding multiple small bags filled with coins. "This is the reward for completing the quest." He starts handing out a pouch to each person.

"Finally got some money now." Kaz's eyes lit up as he peeked into the pouch. "Finally I can buy some meat."

"I told you to not blow all the money we earned the other day on buying those scam meat," Marilin scolded him.

"Alright everyone," Tetsuya waited a few seconds to allow the two of them to finish. "Classes begins tomorrow. So don't show up late."

Then, the crowd dismissed and each went their separate ways. Loganel looked up into the sky and at the Church located on top of the long flight of stairs. He then began walking towards the Church in order to see someone.