Chapter 38

The sun shined brightly overhead, reflecting its bright rays off the layer of white snow that covered the world. The snow appeared fluffy and soft and bald trees protruded from the snowy ground and into view.

The group gathered around Kaz who was kneeling down on the ground beside tracks of a large beast that they suspected to be the creature that was causing the villagers problems. Loganel, however, still maintained an awkward position that was somewhat away from the main group that one can tell that he was the outlier, yet still close enough for people to know that he was part of the party.

"Smells like a bear," Kaz stood up to his full height and looked down the trail left behind by the creature. "Scratches on the tree trunks and everything."

"Shouldn't it be hibernation season for bears?" Marilin asked.

"Something must've awakened it then," Tetsuya concluded.

"Seems like it's going to be a long quest," Kaz sighed. "We got the bear to take care of and whatever that had awaken the bear. Hopefully the bear had taken care of that already."

"Hopefully," Tetsuya frowned. He then turned and faced Loganel. "What do you think?"

"Like what Kaz is thinking," Loganel responded. "We promised we would get rid of the trouble and the source of it all to Mr. Wilkins. We should do what we promised."

"Yeah," Sheriel nodded. "I really want to help them out."

"Then it's agreed then," Tetsuya looked around at everyone in the party. "We'll slay the bear and investigate whatever it was that had awaken the bear afterwards. Any objections?" Tetsuya paused and waited, giving an opportunity to everyone if they were to object to the decision made. "No? Then let's do it. Kaz, lead the way."

"Got it." Kaz smiled confidently. He then started following the bear's trails, leading the group to where the bear was located. "This one seems kinda large," he muttered. "Better be careful."

Kaz then glanced over at Loganel for a second.

"What's wrong?" Loganel asked.

Kaz then paused and turned around to face Loganel.

"This time," he said, voice trembling somewhat. "This time if something were to happen, don't risk your life for me again."

"Hm?"

"I mean it, Loganel," Kaz pointed at Loganel. "You better not try that again, you know?"

"..." Loganel smiled and lowered his head. "Fine. I got it."

With the burden lifted from his shoulders, Kaz turned back around and continue leading the party to their destination. As he walked, he remained cautious, hands ready to draw his weaponry at any second and kept his ears up. He smelled the air for any signs of danger, making sure that he would know if the bear was near or not.

Even though a bear isn't as dangerous as a Behemoth, Kaz thought, I can't let that happen again. I can't let Loganel risk himself again.

The wandering bear soon came into view and Kaz gestured for everyone to crouch and get low. The bear hasn't noticed them yet and was focused on gnawing at the bones of a slain animal before it. From the looks of it, Kaz concluded that it was a deer that the bear had caught and was eating.

"Like before," Tetsuya whispered as he directed the tactics for the battle. "Loganel and I will go first, Kaz provide support and protect Sheriel and Marilin when needed. Got it?"

"Yeah," they all said.

"Then on a count of three, Kaz shoot that beast with your bow and we'll initiate the battle," Tetsuya said as Kaz raised up the crossbow he had bought from Merian. "One, two, three!"