Chapter 31

Tetsuya looked out of the high window and at the celestial body overhead called the moon. He basked in the moonlight as he stood in the main prayer chambers of the Church, obviously troubled by his recent experiences. With a frown on his face, he stood there motionlessly. That is, until a priest entered through the side door of the prayer room.

"Can't sleep?" The priest asked.

"Yeah..." Tetsuya responded.

"Missing your old world or is something else bothering you?"

"Maybe a bit of both," Tetsuya sighed and lowered his head as he stared at the symbol of the Church that stood against the far wall of the room. "Why're you still up?" He then asked the young priest.

"I'm just indulging in my studies," the young priest responded. "I've been studying the old scriptures on healing. Did you know, sir Hero, that the only species in this world that could regenerate severed body parts are the Demons and their sub species?"

"Really?" Tetsuya replied without much visible enthusiasm. However, this does not appear to bother the young priest too much as the young priest continued on with his explanations.

"It is possible for Demons to do so naturally. However, as for humans, it could also work as well."

"What do you mean?" Upon heading that regenerating limbs might work for humans, Tetsuya's interest was immediately hooked as he thought of Loganel.

"I mean that humans could also regain lost limbs. However," the priest's words soon extinguished Tetsuya's hopes, "if it is done, it must be done through a ritual. And that ritual...well...it's against Church teachings. It transforms humans into a Demon."

"Is that so..." Tetsuya then gazed at the ground in disappointment.

"Sadly, yes," the priest also expressed a subtle disappointment in his voice, not because he could not help Loganel, but because it won't help humanity. "It just goes to show how fragile our kind is."

"Yeah..." Tetsuya muttered as he once again gazed up at the moon in the sky past the high windows.

"Now if you will excuse me," the priest then said as he walked past Tetsuya and towards the door opposite to the side door he had emerged from. "I shall head to my chambers to catch up on some sleep. And as for you, Summoned Hero, please rest soon as well."

"I will," Tetsuya replied with a cold, saddened voice.

***

Loganel slowly opened his eyes and regained consciousness. His vision was blurry at first, but he could still make out the outlines of Mistivera's face that was in the air over his. He could faintly hear something as her mouth moved to speak, but he could not yet hear exactly what it was. However, gradually, his vision and hearing returned to normal.

Loganel was laying down on the ground in the center of the ritual pattern that was drawn with white chalk on the ground with his head resting on Mistivera's lap as she tended to him. He stared at Mistivera's face and tears slowly formed in his eyes as he recognized that eerie resemblance she had with the girl Lilith from the dreams he had saw earlier.

"Lilith?" he muttered weakly as he stared in disbelief at the girl over him.

"Calling me by my middle name?" Mistivera sighed and shook her head. "Looks like you've yet to fully regain your senses."

"Is...is it over?" Loganel weakly asked.

"Is it?" Mistivera chuckled and placed her hand on Loganel's regenerated left arm.

"It's...it's back!" Loganel exclaimed in his weak voice as he excitedly tried to force himself up. However, he failed miserably as his arms gave way and he fell back down with his back against the floor.