Chapter 50

Loganel walked down the streets of Rostindel alone, looking side to side at the liveliness of the city. This city housed a bustling economy that seemed to be on par with that of Astalan with the many horse-drawn carts and wagons going by on the main road. Commoners walked here and there, minding their own business and getting by with life. All in all, the city seemed quite normal. Loganel could not imagine that this city is terrorized by Vampires.

Loganel began searching his memory for information on Vampires. From what he had learned from classes he took at the Academy, Vampires usually resembles humans. However, the most obvious difference is their sensitive nature to sunlight, so usually Vampires only attack at night. However, there are certain Vampires that can operate in the day: the Hierarch Vampires. They're Vampires from birth and after hundreds of years of training and consumption of human blood, they had developed a resistance to sunlight. Those Vampires are the real troubles for Adventurers or Paladins that set out to slay Vampires.

However, despite the dangers of such Vampires, according to Mistivera, Loganel was supposed to be contacted by an agent of hers in Rostindel. He didn't know who it will be, but he believed that it most likely will be a Vampire due to their high intelligence and human-like appearance. Even then, Loganel remained cautious, for he may never know if the agent will mistake him for an ordinary Adventurer and attack him. Therefore, as Loganel walked down the streets, his senses remained on guard.

Maybe I should've done this later in the day, he thought as he roamed the city streets for up to two hours already with no contact.

He continued the walk down the street of Rostindel and slowly approached what appeared to be a marketplace. There, merchants were selling accessories and food vendors were calling out to attract the attention of any passerby to try their food. Bored from his long walk, Loganel decided that he would check out the wares that were being sold. Therefore, he approached an accessory stall where numerous other people were also looking at the trinkets being sold.

"Quite a nice ring you got there," a boy around his age in appearance commented.

Loganel looked in the boy's direction and saw that the boy had a friendly smile on his face as he continued to browse the wares the vendor had laid out for display. Loganel didn't sense anything odd about the boy other than the minuscule detail that he wore a hooded cloak. However, that wasn't weird at all in this winter weather.

"Thanks," Loganel simply responded, not wanting to draw too much attention to himself.

"You must be the one Princess Mistivera was talking about," the young man next to him then said. "I've been expecting you."

"You?" Loganel looked over once again at the hooded figure.

"Let us not talk here," the hooded figure whispered. "Let's retreat to my dwelling. There, we may talk in peace. Follow."

The young man then started walking off and into the crowd. As he did so, Loganel watched on. He was quite cautious and suspected that the young man might have some ulterior motive. He reasoned that this might be a trap, but once he recalled Mistivera's words, he gathered his strength and started to follow, just in time before the young man was lost in the crowd.

She won't do something to hurt me, Loganel reasoned as he trailed the hooded figure through the crowd and away from the marketplace. He had led him to a secluded alleyway with tall four-story buildings tightly packed against each other on either end where no human was in sight. Loganel's worries were compounded by this, but he opted to continue on although he did bring his hand to the handle of the sword he wore by his hip.

The hooded young man then stopped by a closed wooden door that was built into the row of buildings before knocking on it.

"It's me," he whispered to the door and then came the sound of a lock being opened followed by a bar being raised. "Let us enter," The boy smiled as he looked over at Loganel, exposing his face to him for the first time. What caught Loganel's eye was the scarlet crimson color of the boy's eyes.