Chapter 34

"Everybody's here." Tetsuya looked around, a bitter expression hanging on his face.     

It has been a little over a week ever since that incident with the Behemoth causing Loganel to lose his arm. However, Tetsuya could still cannot get used to the fact that Loganel was gone. First it was Azura, and now Loganel, two vital members of the party were no longer with them, which greatly reduced the party's combat abilities. Due to Loganel's absence, the party now no longer dared venture into the more dangerous areas. Rather, they merely roamed the safer areas, taking on Snow Wolves and Goblins in the forest.

Tetsuya frowned and sighed. He looked on at Kaz and Marilin that had gathered before him. Ever since he was summoned into this world and had taken part in combat, he had forced himself to accept the fact that people get injured and some die. However, it does not make it any less painful. Juliana is rendered brain-dead by the curse in that expedition, Azura is lost to the tyranny of societal norms, and now Loganel is lost to a crippling wound. Now, only he remained from the original party. It saddened him quite a bit as the reality finally came to him, a reality that is that no one stays forever. Therefore, with a depressed and battered look on his face and head hanging low, Tetsuya turned and started towards the main gates of Astalan.

"Lets go," he whispered in a voice that lacked any livelihood to his two remaining companions behind him.

There's still that quest to hunt Vampires, he thought. That will be coming up soon...How will I even complete this mission? Tetsuya peeked over his shoulder and at Kaz and Marilin. It's suicide if it's just the three of us. We won't stand a chance.

Then, Tetsuya spotted a figure moving towards them in the not too far distance. The sight of the boy caused Tetsuya to immediately halt in place and turn around to face the advancing boy. A smile appeared on Tetsuya's face as he saw the energetic expression on Loganel's face as he approached. However, his gaze was immediately captivated by the mysterious left arm that had regrown on his friend.

What is that? He looked on, eyes trembling in terror as he recalled what the priest had said to him regarding regenerating limbs. This can't be...It must be a prosthetic limb...That's right. It must be. But...it looks so real, almost like a real hand. Man, technology really has been advancing huh? Loganel is human. Right?

"Woah!" Kaz exclaimed as he saw Loganel's left arm. "It's really grown back!"

"Grown...back?" Tetsuya repeated in a bitter and defeated voice.

"That woman is truly a miracle maker," Marilin walked up and greeted Loganel.

"So you're coming with us today?" Kaz asked with excitement and enthusiasm overflowing from that large smile of his.

"Yeah," Loganel responded with a nod of his head. "Sorry for making you guys worried about me."

"Hm?" Kaz looked over and realized the abnormal reaction on Tetsuya's face. "What's wrong Tetsuya? Why is it that you looked as if you've just seen a ghost?"

"N-nothing," Tetsuya immediately gained control of his facial expression and distorted it into a friendly smile. "Glad you could be back Loganel."

"It's been a while," Loganel chuckled.

Something's not right with him...Tetsuya observed. That smile of his seemed somewhat forced. And his hair...it used to be jet black. So why is it that there a =re a few streaks of a dark crimson?

"Loganel," Tetsuya then bean speaking. His hands were clenched tightly into fists and beads of sweat formed on his forehead and on the back of his neck out of nervousness. His legs felt like rubber as they trembled and struggled to support his weight. In addition, he realized that his heart was racing at an unprecedented speed as his breathing became more and more rapid and frequent. "Don't mind if I ask, how does a human regrow a severed limb?" he said, placing a heavy emphasis on the word human.