Chapter 44

Early the next morning, Loganel was already up and dressed. Sitting in the living room, he watched the crackling fire in the fireplace with the fire reflected in his eyes with hints of nervousness on his end. To alleviate this nervousness, he gently stroked the fur of Mazriel as the cat rested on his laps purring.

It was the first day of the new year, a holiday that Loganel had intended to spend with his siblings. It would appear that they, too, had celebrated New Years Eve with their fellow party members and intended for New Year's Day to be between family members like they had always done so in the past.

This year will also be the second year without Juliana. In the past, when all was well, Loganel's siblings, Juliana, and Logenel himself would celebrate together. However, with the loss of Juliana, it just won't be the same as before. Last year, Loganel was still recovering from her loss and was in a constant state of mourning and grief. This year however, Loganel still believed that there will be sorrow, but he hoped that it won't be as bad.

Not too far from him, he heard the sound of a door opening and closing. Emerging from that door was Mistivera, who was already dressed in a dark winter coat with red laces and a skirt with back stockings. She was going to be meeting Redgilus and Laurina for the first time, and Loganel recalled that he had never informed them of her.

"When're we leaving?" she asked as she sat down on the couch adjacent to him.

"Soon," Loganel responded as he took note of the time. "In a few more minutes."

She's... beautiful, Loganel thought as he looked over in her direction, taking in her perfect body posture that alluded great confidence and maturity on her end. The way she sat there, eyes gazing into the empty space before her, it seemed as if there's a hint of melancholy from the test of time.

"Are you nervous?" Mistivera suddenly asked, causing Loganel to panic as he did not expect that sudden question.

"A little bit," he responded. "It's just... there's plenty that we'll have to explain. Like what happened with my arm and you. We um... can't tell them about the truth, right?"

"Correct," Mistivera nodded. "You never know what their responses might be and how they might act. Plus, you wouldn't want to put them in danger, do you?"

"You're right," Loganel sighed. "It's just that... they've been with me since the start of everything, my only family in close proximity."

Mistivera remained silent as the two sat there in the living room, waiting for time to pass. Loganel sighed due to his troubled mind and removed Mazriel from his lap. He gently placed the cat down on the empty spot next to him on the couch, gazing into the creature's eyes as it looked up at him.

You're always here for me as well, he smiled. Thank you.

As if it had understood what that smile on his face meant, Mazriel meowed to Loganel, almost as if it was saying, "Of course."

Loganel let out a relaxed smile as he gently patted the cat on its head. Then, he got up from the couch and rose to his full height. 

"Let's go," he said to Mistivera as he walked over to the front door. "We'll just stay in Laurina's dorm for the time being. She should be awake by now, and I want you to get acquainted with my sister."

The two then exited Loganel's dorm and proceeded to where Laurina's was located, which was on the floor above his. Loganel approached the door, knocking gently on the door after gathering much courage to initiate the first meeting between Laurina and Mistivera.

It wasn't too long until the door slowly opened, revealing Laurina who was already dressed in warm clothing in response to the cold weather. She smiled as she saw her younger brother, but that smile became a look of confusion as she noticed the girl that stood next to him.