Chapter 46

The comfort of the New Years holiday soon wore off as time passed and the date moved forward. Early in the morning, the city was still asleep, fatigued by the New Years celebration and still oblivious to this continuation of their every-day jobs and tasks. However, as time passed and the sun slowly rose in the eastern horizon, its warm rays shined down on the layer of sparkling white snow and the naked trees. However, despite this, the guardsman of the capital city of Astalan were already up, standing on guard in the numerous entrances and readying themselves to allow people in and out of the city as well as having people patrol the cold and silent city streets.

Loganel was also already up. It was the day that he shall head out with his party members to participate in their quest of Vampire slaying in the city of Rostindel. According to the information Tetsuya had provided him, it will probably take two days if the party were to rent out a horse-drawn carriage so Loganel prepared for that. He made sure to prepare an extra set of clothing that he could change into as well as a set of comfortable sleepwear that the party shall use during their stay in one of the many inns in Rostindel. In addition to clothing, Loganel also prepared plenty of medicinal items and food that he kept in his storage ring just in case something were to happen. The cost of the horse, carriage, and lodging were quite expensive, so Loganel and his friends knew that they must succeed in this quest or else they would've lost a considerable amount of money.

Loganel quietly exited his room with Mazriel following after him. He looked down at his furry companion and picked the cat up into his arms. He gently stroked its fur as he walked into the living room and sat down on the couch.

"This time," he whispered into the cat's ear. "Avelin won't be coming to pick you up and instead, it will be Mistivera that will take care of you. Don't cause any troubles for her."

Loganel usually arranged for his mentor, the person who he saw as a second mother, to take care of Mazriel while he's gone. However, since last night he had introduced Mistivera to Avelin, he decided that he should not bother Avelin and just let Mistivera take care of Mazriel while he's gone. However, Mistivera and Loganel did agree to have Avelin occasionally come by if needed.

Loganel planned to sit for a bit longer before he left the warmth of his house for the cold morning streets of Astalan and, later on, the cold roads of the wilderness. As he sat there, he ignored the rumbling of his stomach. He reasoned that he could just buy some bread from a bakery he passed by while heading towards the western entrance of Astalan. Most bakeries are open quite early in the morning, so Loganel wasn't worried that he won't get any breakfast for the morning. What was on his mind, however, was Mistivera as well as Azura and Iry who's being retained in the Stelis mansion by their birth parents.

It wasn't too long after he had sat down that Mistivera entered the living room. It appears that she's been up for some time now since there were no signs of drowsiness on her face.

"Good morning," Loganel said to her and smiled.

"Good morning," she responded.

Now that he had saw Mistivera, Loganel felt that he could go on his way. He placed Mazriel down on the couch and got up from his seat. He made sure to grab both his usual sword and the dark blade Zweilgr. His regular blade he hung wore on his hip and Zweilgr he carried on his back. Then, Loganel turned to face Mistivera.

"I'll be off now," he said to her.

"Wait."

Mistivera approached Loganel slowly. On her face was an expression of calmness like a tranquil sea, but for Loganel, he could feel his face turning red as his heart raced as she approached him.

"Take this." She grabbed Loganel by his left hand and slid a ring down his ring finger. "The Ring of Demons," she whispered to him as she gazed at his hand. "It will grant you protection against all types of elemental damage and should serve as a identification tool for the Demons in Rostindel to contact you."

"You've mentioned it earlier," Loganel said. "But who will be making contact with me and what do I have to do?"

"You'll know once you arrive at Rostindel," Mistivera responded as she looked up and into Loganel's eyes. "I want you to truly learn of our world once you are there. I have a feeling you will be in Rostindel for quite some time, so I hope you will be ready for it. If you need anything, the Ring of Demons will serve as a communication tool. It's been set so that it's connected to my Ring of Verltz so if you need to contact me, direct your Mana into the ring and it will build a channel of communication for the two of us."

"I-is this a marriage ring?" Loganel asked.

"You can think of it like that," Mistivera smiled.

"But we're not even married yet."

"We will be soon enough," Mistivera said with a audible frustration at the many questions Loganel had for her."Now, on your way."

"See you later," Loganel gazed into her eyes and smiled as he said his goodbyes to her.

"You too," Mistivera returned the gesture.

Upon exiting his dorm and walking down the stairs so that he was at the front entrance of the dorm building, Loganel discovered a man waiting for him. This man was someone he had never seen before, but Loganel recognized the symbol on the badge that the man wore on his shirt collar: the Flower of Stelis.

"Mr. Loganel Ainzloft?" the man asked Loganel as he walked out of the special dorm building.

"That's me," Loganel responded.

"Here I have a letter that is from Lady Azura Stelis and Iry Stelis directed to you," the man said as he produced an envelope from the inside pocket of his heavy winter coat. "Would you like me to remain for a while just in case you have a message you would like for me to relay to them?"

Loganel nodded as he carefully broke the seal on the letter and pulled out the contents within. It was quite difficult while wearing gloves but he managed to do so without causing any creases in the paper contained within.

Dear Loganel Ainzloft,

Iry and I decided that we will write to you before you set off for your journey to Rostindel. I am extremely sorry that I am not able to accompany you and the rest of the party on this dangerous quest, but I believe you can succeed without my presence.

Both of us wanted you to remain safe on your journey as well as everyone else in the party. Please do not have us on your mind and have it distract you on this mission. It would be painful for both of us if we were the cause of unpleasant thoughts while on the mission for you and for everyone else. Please stay safe and return to Astalan safely.

Azura and Iry

Loganel finished reading their letter and a small smile appeared on his face.

These two, Loganel shook his head while smiling happily. Even though their situation might be even more dire than ours... they still want us to not worry about them... And the letter... they only sent it to me...

"Would you like a message to be relayed to them?" the messenger asked.

"Yeah," Loganel looked up from the letter and at the messenger as he carefully folded the letter and allowed it to dissipate and be stored in his storage ring. "Tell them I'll see them soon."

Author's Note:

Please vote and comment if you've enjoyed. Thank you.

Edited by